"Bomb cyclone" snowstorm hits Denver

Yes, I started to edit my post to make that point but “The mile-high city hobbled by a powerful blizzard” seems incomplete - what about the city?

The man hobbled by his pants hanging around his ankles… did what?

0 Likes

That’s exactly the problem - the sentence is missing an “is” or “was,” as is almost every other sentence of this “report”

…“quote”

1 Like

No, it is an old weather term and has more to do with the change in barometric pressure and the accompanying winds than it does with snowfall. The pressure drop is lattitude dependent. I haven’t done the math, but for Denver it should be something like 20mb drop in 24 hours. We had one a few weeks ago and it destroyed my backyard table.

7 Likes

I learn something every day!

Condolences on your table.

3 Likes

5 Likes

I actually ran across this term previously in a book called The Storm of the Century, about the 1935 Labor Day hurricane that flattened a swath of the Florida Keys. It refers to when a storm gets the sweet spot of temperature, moisture, and prevailing winds and goes from ‘meh’ to ‘OMGwe’reallgonnadie’ in a matter of hours, also known as ‘rapid deepening’. The 1935 hurricane unofficial barometer pressure dropped below 26 inches (until the barometer was lost in the storm surge), unheard of and a sign of how powerful the storm was. It also blew a train off the tracks, this one on the Flagler Oversea Railway line.

5 Likes

The day before the storm, I took advantage of the sunny day and temps in the upper-60’s to clean the months and months worth of detritus out of my car. I joked with my neighbor that I was putting The Whammy on the weather far more certainly than how the jinx of washing a car makes it rain the next day.

This was all my fault. I promise that from now on, I will let the trash accumulate in my car.

5 Likes

closed #28

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes