Bond villains ranked

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/31/bond-villains-ranked.html

5 Likes

Why have they completely missed out ‘Never say Never Again’?

3 Likes

How is Jaws not in the top 10?

Discount Thunderball?

9 Likes

They did acknowledge Max von Sydow in the Blofeld listing. But if they’re going to do that, they really should have mentioned Klaus Maria Brandauer under Largo.

3 Likes

I preferred the remake. The original probably does have better photography, but I enjoy the performers more in the second version.

2 Likes

Look at these two, having the time of their lives.

25 Likes

I definitely preferred Adolfo Celi as Largo in the original. I do enjoy Never Say Never Again, just not as much. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes
2 Likes

“What the hell is this? I got completely snubbed!”

(Don’t come for me. He has fun with it himself.

10 Likes

Xenia Onatopp only at #12?
Fools.

5 Likes

For a second looking at that thumbnail i thought this was a Naked Gun scene

6 Likes

it’s completely unfair that Jaws doesn’t rank higher. he ended up being more comedic and sympathetic in Moonraker because after his first appearance the fans loved him, especially kids, and they wrote letters imploring them to bring him back again. it was because of the kids that the director of Moonraker decided to make Jaws have his turn, become a hero, let him get a girlfriend, and live.

13 Likes

You can tell a male geek compiled this list, since Xenia is #12 while Boris is down at 50-something. She’s objectively the worst part of that entire movie, while he’s one of the best (and most quotable).

Nice to see that my appreciation for Alec Trevelyan isn’t just my latent crush on Sean Bean surfacing, though.

1 Like

So Bond-as-superhero-and-womanizer was the top choice for child role models of the time, as were murderous villians as long as they had a good schtick? I think I better understand how we got from there to here now in modern culture.

7 Likes

Caught Moonraker on TV lately and was pleasantly surprised by Michael Lonsdale’s grim witticisms. The linked article quotes “Look after Mr. Bond. See that some harm comes to him.” but the man has a Wildean way with words…

• “You have arrived at a propitious moment, coincident with your country’s one indisputable contribution to Western Civilization: Afternoon tea. May I press you to a cucumber sandwich?”

• “Mr. Bond, you defy all my attempts to plan an amusing death for you.”

• “James Bond. You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season.”

• “Allow me to introduce you to the airlock chamber. Observe, Mr Bond, your route from this world to the next.”

• At least I shall have the pleasure of putting you out of my misery, Mr. Bond.

(It’s important to add however that this film, like most/all Bond movies, is misogynist and unpleasant in its attitudes to women, and doesn’t get a pass because of some bon mots.)

13 Likes

Basically I skimmed the list to see how high Jaws and Oddjob were. When I got to Jaws at 19 I started paying attention to who they thought was better than Jaws. when they got to Oddjob at 4 I really started paying attention. Having not seen From Russia With Love I won’t try to argue with their number one pick. And I think two and three are justifiable. Not bad for a list that basically exists only to start fights.

6 Likes

maybe you haven’t seen Moonraker. Jaws may have been in a “murderous villain” role, but he certainly doesn’t come off that way to the eyes of children, who sometimes see clearer than adults. and if i recall from when i was a kid and saw these movies, Bond was all about the gadgets and cars for me and my friends.

1 Like

Dr. Christmas Jones
twine_50_280
The Film: The World is Not Enough
The Actor: Denise Richards
The Basics: Not a villain, but a character I wanted to die so much that I feel she should be included in this list.

7 Likes

What do you mean?
It has Rowan Atkinson.

3 Likes

giphy

15 Likes