Book-ban advocates gnash teeth over Utah school Bible removal

My guess: they’ll try to make a carve-out for “historically/culturally relevant texts,” at which point Qurans should be provided to every public library.

9 Likes

Plus, I’d say Lady Chatterly’s Lover is historically relevant. Give all high schools that.

7 Likes

The Kama Sutra is pretty historical, too, now that I think about it.

11 Likes

Just wait until they read Genesis 19:30-36.

3 Likes

It has no name.

10 Likes

Bet they didn’t see that coming, the fucking hypocrites.

9 Likes

A pale horse.

4 Likes

Just spent three weeks alternating with my partner in the children’s hospital and if ever I saw Christian literature in the parents’ kitchen it went straight into the bin. “Free!” written on it or not. Fuckers taking advantage of vulnerable people in stressful situations.

Not the hospital staff or anything obviously. And most of the charities I saw were doing good stuff like music or art supplies or pet visits for the kids but I suspect it would have been someone like that with access doing a sneaky proselytism on the side.

17 Likes

I mean I’m cool with using their tactics against them, but only if it removes this silly book banning/burning concept overall by dumping these laws on the ashbin of history.

6 Likes

But WHY are they gnashing their teeth?
They never pay any attention to what the damn thing says anyway!

9 Likes

And, are they even?
The article was woefully short on the gnashing of teeth angle.
We can imagine it, but I want some first person quotes. For real. I want to hear and read them realizing the corner they’ve painted themselves into.

10 Likes

This is all funny, but if you want a fresh dose of nightmare, try this – Tennessee is broadening their censorship game to let them fine publishers for publishing books they don’t like:

I assume it’s only a matter of time – probably before Christmas, at this rate – before a red state bans book ownership entirely.

5 Likes

I hope that your child is recovered/recovering from the reason for said hospitalization.

9 Likes

11 Likes

IMG_1963|nullxnull

7 Likes

Damned right it does.

9 Likes

Or the Song of Solomon. Maybe someone could mention that at Wednesday Teen Bible Study.

9 Likes

So if the appeal is successful does that open the door to get other books reinstated or repeal the law?

3 Likes

Probably. After all, if that person want kids to have access to a book with a story about a woman who lusts after men who are literally hung like horses, then there shouldn’t be a problem with other literature.

2 Likes

This delicious nugget from NPR:

the Davis School District has also received a request for the Book of Mormon to be reviewed for inappropriate content. The Book of Mormon is a foundational text for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, a prominent religion in the state. A spokesperson for the district told the Salt Lake Tribune they plan to form a similar commitee to review this text as well.

Huzzah for malicious compliance!

8 Likes