Book banned at a school named after its author

Originally published at: Book banned at a school named after its author | Boing Boing

19 Likes

The Right’s fears are both petty and profound. Neat trick.

37 Likes

Maybe this was the right-wingers’ revenge for banning segregation at schools named after heroes of the Confederacy.

26 Likes
21 Likes

Forget it, Jake, it’s Southlake.

This district has been on national news multiple times over the last year because their school board and white residents are openly racist. That’s right, I said it, any school board or collection of parents “fighting” against CRT are racist, and openly so. They don’t know what it is, but they’re pretty sure it involves talking about black people, so they hate it, regardless of the fact that CRT is only taught at universities only to certain majors.

43 Likes

Whoa, from that article:

It attracted national attention after an administrator advised educators to teach students about the Holocaust from “opposing” perspectives, according to an audio recording obtained by NBC News.

What a world…

26 Likes

Why did they even bother naming the school after him in the first place?

11 Likes

That’s like a holocaust-era German asking why they bothered letting Jews have stores in the first place. Because we’re in a regressive point in our nation’s history.

15 Likes

Life was So Good.

Life Was Beautiful.

12 Likes
10 Likes

We’ve got some really serious book banning going on in the red states right now. Thanks to a new Oklahoma law, schools effectively have a blanket banning of books unless they meet some arbitrary criteria - which they revealed shortly before school started, leaving teachers without the time to research whether the books on their shelves met it, leaving schools with empty book shelves. A teacher providing the QR code for the Brooklyn Library’s online library card service (to allow students to read banned books) got suspended.

But I’m sure the NYTimes will have an article soon about how this is a “both sides” issue and lefty students in universities are unwilling to give space to bigots, and that’s totally the same thing…

34 Likes

I think his estate needs to send a letter threatening to charge the school a license fee for use of his name or demanding that the school change its name. No, I don’t know if that would fly in court, but the publicity might increase awareness of and interest in the book.

8 Likes

While I wouldn’t dispute that, I think that some of the progress being undone was only an IOU to begin with. Naming schools after civil-rights figures, by itself, is an extremely easy “concession” to make – it doesn’t prove that anything else about your town has changed since 1865. And if the town can’t refrain from open white supremacism for even one generation, then the school renaming was a fraud all along.

13 Likes

Thank you for posting this. What an absurd and infuriating travesty all this book banning stuff is. These people need to be voted out kept out and their death cult culture ostracized into obscurity.

8 Likes
37 Likes

Again… we live in a dystopia…

16 Likes

I’m sure it was a “feel good” moment for the school board that was in place at the time. :frowning:

15 Likes

Yeah, i had to check that it was The Onion. Sounded way too plausible in our current environment.

25 Likes

Nice touch – Keller’s immediately west of (if slightly less tony than) Southlake.

9 Likes

Any reading or learning is for the privileged ‘Left elite’!?..
(had to look up two words above cause spelllin aint my thing (( also can’t spell ‘2’ without thinking of ‘Two Wobbly Oranges’)))… not so good at punctuation either!

When hell did the head kicking right wing conservative fuckers turn it around that they are the victims of society!!??

Literacy must be shameful because it will bring on ideas.