Bookmarket reveals marketing jargon and other BS on the current page

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/12/bookmarket-reveals-marketing-j.html

6 Likes

So close.

3 Likes

I think I like that version better. Although, “bullshit” does seem to have the ability to serve as almost any part of speech, much like “buffalo”.

7 Likes

8 Likes

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

10 Likes

It helps if you replace each “buffalo” with another word having a similar meaning: “Albany bison Albany bison bully, bully Albany bison.”

“bullshit” doesn’t work here because as a noun it’s not plural, so if it’s the subject of a sentence then the verb would have to be conjugated as “bullshits”:
“Bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshits bullshits bullshit bullshit”

7 Likes

Bullshit is the old jawn.

1 Like
1 Like

Whoa, hold on now: to say Albany is similar in meaning to Buffalo is like saying Utica is similar in meaning to Syracuse—clearly the right synonym is Rochester! :wink:

But if you really need an Upstate synecdoche, you can’t go wrong with Schenectady :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

Ha - I knew somebody would call me out on that… I just picked the first city in New York that came to mind (and avoids the confusing name “New York, New York”) :wink:

3 Likes

/jazz hands
Whaddaya say? Schenectady!
Say it again? Synecdoche!

/orchestral flourish, kickline dancers move across stage…

7 Likes

As it turns out bullshit is a Mass noun which is both and neither singular and plural.

4 Likes

bs

5 Likes

I wonder if it works on Artspeak?

3 Likes

Lets not forget another special versatile word.

2 Likes

When used as a noun, that’s true! But mass nouns agree with the singular form of verbs. And the singular form of “(to) bullshit” is “(he, she, it) bullshits”.

1 Like

True, but “Bullshit bullshit bullshit” can be a grammatically correct sentence if the second word is parsed as a verb in the simple past tense (though I personally prefer to use bullshat).

1 Like

@beschizza how can we get this applied to the BB Store posts? I think the results would be… educational.

1 Like

I like “bullshat”. But surely the standard past tense would be “bullshitted”, no?

2 Likes

If ony the fucking fuckers had fucking spelt fucking ‘sentence’ fucking correctly! (Around 1.19)

2 Likes