Boomer Dance Party gets older adults out of the house and on the dance floor

I look forward to the senior raves. The lighting better be way better tho.

4 Likes

I concur. Disco will always have a soft mirror-balled spot in my heart.

2 Likes

In my neck of the woods there are always 80s nights at some local bar somewhere. I’ve always wanted to take one of those classic rock cruises with those performers who are still left but I learned a while ago that most of those cruises are basically the promoter renting the ship and they aren’t always the best service/food etc… plus germs, so I’ll probablly never do that.

For the most part my musical world ends around the late 80s early 90s. I have a playlist of about 300 songs featuring pop, rock, and disco from the 70s and 80s with some folk music from the 60s. Not necessarily, mainstream, there is a lot of music rarely ever heard on the radio, even back then. My wife and daughter know where that list is should I become incapacitated at the end so I can listen on the way out.

As far as disco sucks, when I was a teenager it was required to hate disco and love rock and roll. I listened to disco in the privacy of my own vehicle with an awesome stereo I built from Radio Shack. Most bars back then were still live cover bands and you couldn’t avoid disco, I loved it. And the roller rink, lots of disco there.

When I was 15 or 16 I worked at a 24 hour restaurant, every Tuesday evening around 8 the local square dancing club would come in all dressed in the square dancing outfits and all senior citizens. They would fill the joint, nice bunch of people with goofy clothes.

2 Likes

Yeah I hope they have goth night.

7 Likes

Most Boomers were little kids in the ’50s

Perhaps “Boomer” is being used as a euphemism for old people in general, even though many Silents are still around :confused:

6 Likes

Technically I’m a baby boomer born in 1964.

We’re a big group of people. 1946 – 1964

3 Likes

I had never really thought before about they “why” of the “movement.” But yeah, there must be reason beyond dislike for the music for that kind of animosity towards a genre. It’s just something that I sorted of accepted as a part of the classic rock landscape, growing up when disco and Disco Sucks were no longer current, yet still being very immersed in 60’s and 70’s rock via family, friends, radio, etc. Geez, thanks for making me go and think about things. Good articles, both!

If it helps, I’ve always thought of the 70’s as the gas shortage decade.

7 Likes

For better or worse this is the song I associate with the words “I hate disco.”

1 Like

My complaint isn’t so much with disco music, as the cynical disco marketing hard sell by straight white music execs who wanted to cash in.

When radio stations would switch to all disco format, playlists with some good stuff but a whole lot of really mediocre filler by people also trying to cash in. (A blessing in disguise. I set sail for FM alternative and was happy for a decade. The occasional five minutes of skipping because the DJ had loaded up a couple album sides and gone outside for a J was perfection.)

When every establishment figured out a way to jam in a 10x10 dance floor, and they’d crank the sound Way Too Loud. Anyone serious about disco would go downtown to places like the Limelight, but all the little local places had to have their dinky disco floor. (Even The Pioneer, which also had a mechanical bull. sigh.)

Most Boomers were little kids in the ’50s

So… little kids in the ʻ50s = twenty-somethings in the ʻ70s.

Why wouldn’t people of that age group want to dance to the music they danced to when they were in their twenties?

3 Likes

yes i was agreeing with you :+1:

5 Likes

Ah, my error parsing your post, then. :call_me_hand:t4:

2 Likes

… maybe we should have separate reply buttons for “affirm” and “deny” :thinking:

4 Likes

Well, if they don’t, we’ll just set up our OWN retirement community, with goth nights and 80s nights!

Are you seriously trying to argue that that doesn’t happen with literally every other genre of music? ESPECIALLY with rock music? Because of course it does. There is not a genre of music that the recording industry doesn’t try and cash in on! FFS… but the most overly commercialized genre is most certainly rock, not disco… :woman_shrugging:

Most importantly…

amber-ruffin-not-about-you

8 Likes
4 Likes

Yeah I never saw the disco scene when it was new and I heard about hating disco before I actually knew what disco sounded like…

On one hand I understand that pop burnout is real… but so is the defensive perception of one’s own racial anxiety and homophobia as a dangerous “other” degrading music…

4 Likes

:white_check_mark: :up: :arrow_up::point_up::heavy_plus_sign::fire::firecracker:

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

And also, one truly sucks because it often translates into real world violence, and the other can be dealt with by listening to something… I’ll leave it to you to figure which is which!

And it’s true that the mass media landscape wasn’t nearly as varied as it is today, but that doesn’t mean there were NO options for people not interested in what was on the radio!

6 Likes

Nope, I never argued that at all. That was just the first time that I was paying attention when a music industry marketing campaign was shoveled at me.

Ugh.

This post is NOT about Disco (which I happen to love.)

It’s about older folks getting their boogie on, FFS.

And good on them; I hope I’m still willing & able to burst moves twenty years from now.

8 Likes