Border agents seize 154 pounds of 'prohibited bologna' at Texas crossing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/25/border-agents-nab-154-pounds-o.html

3 Likes

So the real McCoy because it must be 100% pork is not allowed in the USA?
(If you are in Bologna and want to eat a Bologna i think you can search for a Lyoner or a fesa di tacchino arrosto)
Beside, it’s anyway cooked meat, I can’t understand how it could cause diseases even if the pigs had tapeworms…

3 Likes

No, Mexican pork (any of it in any form) is not allowed. The US pork supply is remarkably clean and disease-free. Not all countries can make that claim.

7 Likes

I wonder what their official protocol is for destroying meat?

4 Likes

Well, I feel much safer now.

3 Likes

F O R B I D D E N M E A T

(Why does it always have to be destroyed? Always makes me a little sad)

8 Likes

“14 rolls of Mexican bologna”

The phrase you didn’t expect to hear today, but there it is.

7 Likes

“My Bologna has a first name it’s C O N T R A B A N D…”

25 Likes

154lbs of Mexican Bologna failed to pass the Wall,
154lbs of Mexican Bologna failed to pass the Wall,
154lbs of Mexican Bologna,
Take one down and pass it around, 153lbs of Mexican Bologna failed to pass the Wall.

@agies Contrabologna!

16 Likes

Could someone please explain this? How is a product meant for human consumption going to introduce animal diseases?

4 Likes

Prohibited Bologna is the name of my new band sex tape

16 Likes

Did they look INSIDE the bologna?

5 Likes

Fortunately, this makes Texas safe for home-made bologna (i.e., Gov. Abbot & the GOP.)

3 Likes

That was my nickname in college.

13 Likes

Smugglers will just develop bologna canons.

Which is why the FDA recommended cooking pork to 160f for so long. Its mostly been eradicated from the US pork supply since the 60’s. There’s also prion diseases like mad cow, which persist in the animals nerve tissue after death. These things can make it into humans, or back into the animal population through those humans, waste, pests, or potentially pets.

I think there’s also a pathway for foot in mouth to make it from animal products back into livestock populations. But some of it is abundance of caution. Mexico just doesn’t have the same inspection and food safety apparatus we do.

7 Likes

For now. There seems to be a concerted effort (or lack there of) to bring us down to Mexico’s level.

18 Likes

It’s the other white meat, and ‘prohibited bologna’ great name for a band.

7 Likes
4 Likes

Totally exaggerated:

1 Like

mmmh forbidden meat and meat byproducts

1 Like