Border agents seize 154 pounds of 'prohibited bologna' at Texas crossing

7 Likes

Yeah “totally exagerated” by the standards of a modern industrial country with proper meat inspection systems designed to detect and exclude trichinosis. Shit Europe, including Germany, fixed that particular issue earlier, faster and more comprehensively than the US.

I don’t see how the mere existence of trichinosis as a thing can be “exagerated”. Its just an example of the sort of animal born disease that can persist in dead flesh.

6 Likes

Phony bologna.

4 Likes

They’ve made a movie about this.

3 Likes

Phoney baloney?

Boney baloney? No - nobody wants boney baloney!

Or even phoney boney baloney.

Bony Moronie, though …

4 Likes

Came to post a Invader Zim “meats of evil” gif only to not find one on the tubes.
So I’ll just sing the doomy “meats of evil, meats of evil” song instead.

2 Likes

How did these stories not somehow cross?

3 Likes

Here is a pic of the perpetrator. He looks guilty as fuck.

6 Likes

[Accordion Solo]

6 Likes

They’re not sending their best meat.

11 Likes

You’d think US Border Patrol would allow pork bologna, as professional courtesy.

3 Likes

Prions will easily survive cooking; the temperatures required to destroy them will incinerate the meat.
Per the CDC:
Identified Prion Diseases

• Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD)
  • Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (vCJD)
  • Gerstmann-Straussler-Scheinker Syndrome.
  • Fatal Familial Insomnia.
  • Kuru.
2 Likes

You’re simply not going to be able to point of a single instance of bologna contaminating other pork products (or pigs, themselves) beyond letting it rot next to them or fed (rotten) to pigs. Nor will you be able to show such for any other cooked pork product, point of fact.

Not even one example. Anywhere. In any country. Feel free to try!

Yup. And those parasites I mentioned will tend to survive cooking to pretty high temps. Which is why so many people are convinced dry over cooked pork is the only safe thing.

It’s a very strict set policy involving confiscated bread, mayonnaise, and occasionally a pickle.

3 Likes

Don’t forget the joys of cysticercosis !

You get the tapeworm from eating… . not directly from the meat, but the pig connection is there.

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/cysticercosis/index.html

This is sheer Bologna Protectionism! An obvious attempt at picking losers and wieners.

7 Likes

phogna bologna

4 Likes

Why would I want to phone my bologna?

Simplest scenario. Someone taken bologna sandwich to a pig farm and throws scraps to a pig. Pig gets disease and it spreads to the herd. Some infected pigs sold to other pig farms or delivery trucks pick up and spread the disease. In no time you have an epidemic.

2 Likes