Border agents seize 154 pounds of 'prohibited bologna' at Texas crossing

African Swine Fever. Which is what this seizure is all about. The product gets contaminated after cooking (hence the concern about Mexico’s lax food safety standards) and then someone makes a sandwich and doesn’t wash their hands before touching feed or pigs themselves.

That was dubbed in English “Lady Liberty”.

2 Likes

They found more bologna. Infinite loop.

3 Likes

And that’s how you get zombies.

I mean, prion disease, technically, but you know what I mean…

1 Like

We don’t need any prohibited Indian bologna either.

1 Like

Lol right I was like " they say they destroyed it. . . .but what if they just ate it "

2 Likes

Coming back from Myanmar, customs “seized” our goat jerky. We noticed they didn’t throw it away. All this stuff we bring goes through the x-ray and it’s all food. Possibly the rest was/appeared prepackaged and passed muster that way, as the jerky is wrapped in newspaper. But those agents definitely ate some goat jerky that night.

Obligatory.

2 Likes

Hiding Mexican bologna as Turkey ham? Amateurs!

This lead to my wife and I having a private joke that our cat is really a cat-shaped loaf of Mexican bologna. (because he’s is a cat-loaf)

I’m not sure what a reverse zoonotic disease is called; but I assume that’s the concern:

Just as animal diseases can pass to humans through a variety of contact or cross-contamination; a human who has picked up a disease from eating a contaminated food item can infect livestock if they work with them, feed them, manage to get a few parasite eggs into their water supply, etc.

Depending on the intended consumer the risk of contact with pigs probably varies; but it’s easy enough to imagine someone getting infected by the pork product and then shedding eggs for a prolonged period of time, at which point having them spread to livestock is easy enough if they work in animal husbandry.

1 Like

Also obligatory.

5 Likes

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.