Boris Johnson to be new UK Prime Minister

Apologies. Didn’t realise that everyone on the site would be getting a notification on that Duh.

#stilllearningtherules - so what would be good form? Delete the post?

(edited for extra mortification)

Maybe Chumbawamba can reunite to dump it on his head.

4 Likes

It doesn’t actually work that way. You just @'ed an account called “boingboing”. Keep calm and carry on. (About that, at least.)

6 Likes

queen-elizabeth-camilla-kate-judging-you

Should I remind you that her mother lived for about a decade longer than that? And Elizabeth still seems to maintain a rather full schedule of appearances and activities, despite being 93? I suspect she’ll be around for a while longer yet.

8 Likes

Thanks for that :slightly_smiling_face:

relief

3 Likes

The Queen doesn’t have any Corgis anymore. The last one died in 2018. This doesn’t make you wrong, though.

Here’s a list of direct quotes from the man who is now UK prime minister:

On Imperialism:

“The problem is not that we were once in charge, but that we are not in charge anymore.”
Consider Uganda, pearl of Africa, as an example of the British record. The British planted coffee and cotton and tobacco, and they were broadly right. If left to their own devices, the natives would rely on nothing but the instant carbohydrate gratification of the plantain.
“The best fate for Africa would be if the old colonial powers, or their citizens, scrambled once again in her direction; on the understanding that this time they will not be asked to feel guilty.”

On the UK’s relationship with the Commonwealth:

“It is said that the Queen has come to love the Commonwealth, partly because it supplies her with regular cheering crowds of flag-wearing picaninnies.”

On Tony Blair’s peacekeeping efforts in the DRC:

“They say he is shortly off to the Congo. No doubt the AK47s will fall silent, and the pangas will stop their hacking of human flesh, and their tribal warriors will all break out in watermelon smiles to see the big white chief touch down his big white British taxpayer-funded bird.”

On changes in leadership:

For 10 years we in the Tory party have become used to Papua New Guinea-style orgies of cannibalism and chief-killing, and so it is with a happy amazement that we watch as the madness engulfs the Labour Party."

On Barrack Obama:

(His actions were)“a symbol of the part-Kenyan president’s ancestral dislike of the British Empire"

On Libya:

“They’ve got a brilliant vision to turn Sirte, with the help of the municipality of Sirte, to turn it into the next Dubai. The only thing they’ve got to do is clear the dead bodies away and then we’ll be there.”

There is nothing I can say to condemn him more than his own words already do. He is an utter disgrace, a hideously venal streak of aristocratic nastiness that exemplifies all that is wrong with the British elite class.

13 Likes

BoJo seems to be trending.

1 Like

My point is that Brexit may drive Northern Ireland away from the sinking UK and towards the EU member, economically rising, Irish Republic. Northern Ireland has been adjusting well to its fragile peace for 20 years. There isn’t much fight left in anyone involved. Prosperity has a tendency to take the wind out of extremists.

I am a hopeless optimist and probably not realistic in the slightest. I am looking for some bright spot in the shitshow that the British have gotten themselves into. .:slight_smile:

3 Likes

That eye substitution thing has hit an unprecedented level of hideous in this instance. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I debated whether to repost this, as it was used not that long ago, but it’s now more relevant than ever. Just in case you haven’t seen it.

Boris is not well regarded:

7 Likes

Inappropriate familiarity is a form of dominance, don’tcha know? Besides, calling him by his proper name* is tedious and, well, I don’t much care about being proper to those who treat others as dirt.

Boris it shall be, and Boris shall get no respect from me.

*Boris the Clown –ed.

4 Likes

I’ve always been a fan of “BoJo the Comedy Sociopath”, but I admit it’s a bit of a mouthful.

3 Likes

A problem with calling him ‘Boris’ is that it normalises his carefully-constructed caricature. If (when) he says something staggeringly offensive, the public (supporters and opponents, if the latter aren’t careful) tend to respond “Good old Boris; a bit bumbling but ours”.

I tend to just call him ‘Johnson’. Pretend he’s a normal person, to be regarded ito the same standards as a normal politician, with no allowances for ‘good old Boris’. Then when he ****s up, it’s a normal **** up, not an endearing eccentricity.

5 Likes

Oh no, he also has German ancestry?

And no, we won’t take him back either!!!
2 Likes

Somebody has to do the work of being an optimist. I don’t currently have it in me.

The DUP are pursuing a policy of biting their nose to spite their face in pursuit of a policy of ideological purity signalling. So while the existence of the UK isn’t actually important to the Brexit Bros so much as their “taking back control” I. E. allowing the tory elite unfettered, no oversight authoritarian control of England, NI is the part they are least likely to let go of as they want victory. They feel the peace process denied them the victory that is their God given right.

5 Likes

Here is an excellent summary of Alexander Boris de Pffifel Johnson (Boris is, as @Ministry says, his brand) from the always on-point Ian Dunt.

4 Likes

Johnson seems appropriate, given its US meaning…

3 Likes

Certainly not all his children are allowed to call him Daddy.

2 Likes

It may be time for the Boris Johnson Drinking Game.

Step 1: Start drinking.

11 Likes

Step 2: Spill it on the sofa, start argument, neighbours call the police

Step 3: Be selected as next PM

Yikes

9 Likes

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman

7 Likes