Bosses seed Silicon Valley Christmas parties with models who impersonate fellow employees, after briefing them with back-stories

This is deeply depressing and not at all surprising that a game company was involved. The industry is heavily male and also infamous for hiring women as decoration at events, both public and private.

They only talk about this happening at one company - a game company - which is totally believable, as this is a logical extension of what some of the bigger game companies have been doing for a long time. They also say that this fake employee ruse is not their usual business - mostly the models are being hired for serving/coat check/hosting duties at company parties. So this is all very believable in its specifics, but it’s hard to know what one can extrapolate from it, if anything. A “record number” could just mean one in this context, if no one had requested such a thing, before…

9 Likes

What you say is true (I was in the game industry for a while), but it’s not limited to them.

In every industry I’ve been in (and I’ve been in a few), eye candy is definitely a thing at conferences.

6 Likes

I’m surprised you’re all so sourpuss about an innovative, legal business. Models have always been decorations. And they fill a vital role. Without paying them, honestly how many people would attend this year’s Christmas party at the White House? Two? Three?

9 Likes

I’d attend the White House Xmas party. I’d wear a Russian flag pin and refer to everyone as tovarish.

15 Likes

Spycraft 101. Social engineering at it’s finest.

6 Likes

Yeah, sadly, but with the game industry it’s not just conferences. Every GDC there’s companies hiring models to mingle at industry parties, and at press events, too. (And I know the game industry isn’t alone in that either.)

5 Likes

The 8-year-old self of whomever thought this was a good idea probably thought Chuck-E-Cheese was a real mouse, too

2 Likes

My take if I were an employee: Hey, instead of getting a model to pretend to be interested in me for an hour, why don’t you just…I don’t know… give me that money as a Holiday bonus instead? No? Not as much fun as socially engineering your staff for info? Hilarious! Here’s my my two weeks notice.

13 Likes

This is news? This was so widely known it was parodied in the first episode of Silicon Valley (in 2014) IIRC.

3 Likes

Do NDAs keep you from reporting (attempted/) criminal sexual assault, though?

3 Likes

I went to a few of those (and even chaired some discussions). Simultaneously fascinating and horrifying…

2 Likes

They might have language to such effect, but it’s 100% unenforceable.

There’s certain rights you just plain can’t give up; contract law just sits on a lower tier than many other types of law. That’s why you can’t sell yourself into slavery, why special laws have to exist to even allow you to sign away the right to sue your cell carrier (forced arbitration), etc.

4 Likes

This happens all the time in L.A., as I have several friends who have done it. Agencies hire attractive, connected, and/or interesting people to go to parties and ensure that the event is successful. They are asked to arrive at the start of the party and have to stay for a minimum amount of time. Usually there is very little money involved but they can enjoy whatever the party has to offer.

5 Likes

No. i recall looking into it a few months ago here in the BBS about a story of a woman coming forward who was under an NDA. There are legal provisions that allow a person bound under an NDA where they can legally break it if there is criminal wrong doing. I can dig up a link if you’d like.

3 Likes

If a situation arises where somebody complains that “the PurdY gUrlZ weRe, like, toTaL buZZ K’LLleRs” this will get back to the modeling agency in which case they may decide not to hire the model again.

1 Like

I know I hate it when beautiful women pay attention to me, even for a few minutes. Damn them to hell.

1 Like

Especially when they’re being paid by your bosses to pretend they want to be around you, right? Chicks man.

4 Likes

Oh, trust me, they’re not paying attention to you.

8 Likes

I think the whole deal is a back-story-for-the-wife that the bosses use in order to get some babes on site and available.

2 Likes

Virtual Reality without the headset.

1 Like