Watch this troubling NSFW PSA from the #ThatsHarassment campaign

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/12/watch-this-troubling-nsfw-psa.html

6 Likes

That was really disturbing. I really don’t know what to say that’s not obvious.

21 Likes

There are some folks that this isn’t obvious to:

Comments like these are on every one of these videos…

On the bright side, there are also some people sharing their stories of similar things happening, some people absolutely finding this useful and want it to be more public. So (and you don’t get a chance to say this often in life), Good Job Cosmopolitan Magazine.

13 Likes

Is that Bobby Cannavale?

2 Likes

These were so cringy i had to watch them in like 30 second intervals. Some people really are just scumbags :frowning:

I’ve never been in a situation as bad as any of these, but i can see why they happen. When someone starts behaving that way, it’s so very unexpected that it’s hard to lash out, tell them to stop, w/e.

4 Likes

I went to Cosmo’s youtube channel hoping to find a playlist I could link to.

Naturally I didn’t find a playlist of “that’s harrasment” videos, but I did find a prominent playlist of “best butt workouts.”

So, good job Cosmopolitan - 49 years after the start of the women’s movement, and you’re still delivering the same scizoid mix of feminism mixed with sexist crap.

15 Likes

I found watching those was extremely awkward and uncomfortable. I just wanted them to end. And I think that’s the point (To some extent, at least. I have a habit of missing the point.). I don’t doubt for a second that these sorts of situations and behaviours are common.

14 Likes

I actually had to skip to the end of the first one and didn’t even try to watch the later ones. Super disturbing and uncomfortable.

9 Likes

I don’t seek it out but can tolerate the most violent accident vids of one sort or another, but I couldn’t get through the 2nd video in this series. Couldn’t handle it.

6 Likes

Wow. The Torso Penis Seat on the Mexico City Metro looks somehow well, less emphatic.

Feel like I need a shower.

7 Likes

Watching these the other day, they were so uncomfortable that I wanted to move on, but had to stay and watch them. What struck me was how “obvious” they seemed, yet hearing - and seeing - many women respond with “This exact thing has happened to me,” gave me a deep, sick feeling.

I had hoped that there might also be some more subtle scenes, showing the more more sinister ways that harassment occurs. Seeing these with the tag “#thatsharassment” I had the knee-jerk “Well, yeah - of course.” I would like to see something that highlights the less-obvious, and perhaps more prevalent, so that the slogan could be read more in an enlightening “OH! #thatsharassment.”

8 Likes

I mean… this is not surprising or unknown? Many of us has experienced similar, as the model in the article noted. It’s sort of depressing how many men are surprised by this, frankly.

30 Likes

They forgot one: The News Commentator. … The President.

I think it is, yeah. You’d need good actors to make something like that work… as it is, I have to imagine there were hours, if not weeks, of trust-building leading up to that production.

Really difficult to watch that–which was the point.

7 Likes

I shouldn’t joke (I actually had to skip down a few rather than watch them all), but upon realizing the doctor is played by Michael Kelly, my first thought was

“Damn, Doug Stamper just can’t stop creeping!”

Edit: But seriously, these are really hard to watch… probably says a lot about my own psyche my instinct is to make a joke…

1 Like

My reaction to the Photographer one: “Thanks for the warning. Now I’ll know just what to watch out for whenever someone’s shooting my picture for a fashion magazine… Because that’s a situation I find myself in frequently…” /eye roll/

My reaction to the Doctor one: "Couldn’t you have warned me sooner? Like, age ten or eleven?"
And also go back in time and warn every other woman I know, because that shit has happened to ALL OF US.

3 Likes

The Doctor one - basically could have had a camera in the room with me a few years ago - right down to it being a fill-in for my regular doctor. I wrote a letter of complaint to the corporation that owned the office. There was no follow up from them. A went in a couple of times after and met with the nurse practitioner. The doctor was still there. It was too uncomfortable for me. I left the practice. I regret that I did not go to the police but I just didn’t want to deal with all the hassle of it, and wasn’t sure what I would get out of that.

The doctor was very practiced in how he groomed me to his touch. He did the “normal” doctor things in ways that were not quite normal before he just went straight up my shirt in a way that was definitely not normal. It would be hard for any person to say that he exactly did something wrong. Except just that it’s not how any other doctor has ever done that.

It was very difficult, too, as the molesty doctor was one of the best ones with prescribing medicine, so it was like, okay, is there some way to work with this jerk to get the care I need?

23 Likes

So… because you’re not a model we can never talk about the dangers presented to models?

I’m not a bartender or actor so I guess can scrap those ones. My GP is a woman my age so thats out too.

11 Likes

The model one is disturbing because a lot of models are very young. It’s pretty typical for girls to come to NYC at age 14, 15, 16 to try to hit it big. They are separated from their parents and living hand to mouth. They are really preyed upon. This video shows a woman who appears to be 19, 20. Imagine this being a 14 year old. That’s the gross reality of the modeling industry.

23 Likes

I found the photographer one most disturbing because of the bored crew and clients sitting silently as that happened.

26 Likes