Boston cop injured flying down children's slide in park (video)

Originally published at: Boston cop injured flying down children's slide in park (video) | Boing Boing

1 Like

Huh. I wasn’t aware that any American playgrounds were still installing metal slides these days. All I’ve seen for a long time now are the crappy plastic ones. (I was guessing that avoiding children getting 3rd degree burns when it’s 110 degrees out was part of the reason.)

5 Likes

Well it’s Boston, so 110° probably isn’t likely even with the degree of global warming we’ve had so far. I wonder whether anybody waxed the slide. Back when I was a kid, you’d take the waxed paper from your sandwich after you ate, and sit on it while going down the slide a couple of times, After you’d waxed up the slide, you’d build up enough speed to shoot off like this cop did. It’s a trick my mom taught me.

7 Likes

I guess sometimes pigs can fly

12 Likes

You’d think with all the Dunkin Donuts Boston cops ingest he woulda got stuck in there somewhere.

Anyway, I have no problem with this. Better for cops to act reckless being silly than reckless with a suspect.

8 Likes

So silly cop aside, is that slide too fast for kids? Like did he start out on his butt and got flipped around?

2 Likes

Not entirely accurate; but I’ll let that comment slide. :smile:

4 Likes

Kids are a lot lighter so they don’t build up as much speed. You can make a steeper slide that is still safe. In fact you have to, otherwise the slide is too slow and kids get stalled.

5 Likes

Deja Boing:

Boston cop has one helluva horrible ride down a playground slide: "Oh f*ck!" | Boing Boing

1 Like

I made this mistake once while trying to help my then 5yo overcome her nerves and take the slide, but I was upright coming off and was able to transfer to a desperate ‘please don’t faceplant’ run as I came off the end. She was right behind me and came out at a reasonable speed.

6 Likes

Physics is fun, but it ain’t your friend :wink:

4 Likes

That’s literally one of my mottoes! ‘Physics is not your friend’ is just such a good thing to remember whenever you’ve decided to do some sketchy shit.

2 Likes

Absolutely - also worth remembering us adults bounce less well than children. Which might explain why we swear more… :thinking:

5 Likes

I’m guessing he was on the edge of the slide and accidentally fell in. His position coming out of the tube looked a bit unnatural.

1 Like

Really? Looking at a quick energy balance

E_initial = E_final

E_potential = E_kinetic,final - E_friction

m*g*h = 1/2*m*v^2 - F_friction*d_slide

m*g*h = 1/2*m*v^2 - mu*F_normal*d_slide

m*g*h = 1/2*m*v^2 - mu*m*g*cos(theta)*d_slide

g*h = 1/2*v^2 - mu*g*cos(theta)*d_slide

mass cancels.

edit: also lol dumb pig

2 Likes

Now THAT’s the video I want to see.

1 Like
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.