Boston Dynamics' new robot for moving boxes looks like a mechatronic scorpion

Yes, if you know exactly what has been sold stock checking is an auditing process to see whether the actual stock levels match what the system says they should be.

1 Like

No argument re the role of the checkout system, although the robots also appear to log items that happen to be out of place. Being in Santa Clarita (one of a few testing sites), we were “lucky” enough to catch the bot action. Its footprint is so small, that I couldn’t imagine it being ‘in the way’.

I believe you misunderstand me.

The robots are not to blame for this work environment. The Chuck robot, I’m sure, can be set to many different speed settings; it could also be easily designed to always lead it’s human companion by a set distance (slowing down if the human falls behind), or to follow it’s human at a set distance. It could have been designed and implemented to help it’s humans do a better job.

Instead, the humans who bought the robot chose to make it push the humans faster.

It is easy to see the unblinking horror of the robot and blame it for the situation and ignore the nice, charming people from corporate who smile and say “Ah, there’s nothing we can do”.

We can’t do that. We must hold the management who set the requirements for the tool and architected the environment responsible for it.

As you point out- we don’t throw the gun in jail, we throw the guy who used it in jail. The tool just enables them to be evil faster, to do the wrong thing easier.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.