Boston Dynamic's robot dog is now for sale

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/24/boston-dynamics-robot-dog-is.html

5 Likes

Robotic dog available for adoption:

Needs a loving home as it has been traumatized by abusive previous owners.

33 Likes

Boston Dynamic is a robot puppy mill. I prefer to get my robotic dogs from a robot recuse place…

25 Likes

I’d love articulated figures of their various robots

6 Likes

What would you do with it, though? Buy it to chase self-driving cars?

34 Likes

Our pup needs a friend, maybe this is a solution.

3 Likes

Neal Stephenson’s Snow Crash world is coming closer and closer to reality. This is the Rat Thing beta, all it’s missing is some actual dog wetware and a nuclear isotope battery pack.

13 Likes

He inspecc
He protecc

9 Likes

The video did a fairly good job of convincing me that it’s not really useful for anything. I suppose if you employed a sizeable workforce whose main job was to carry one brick at a time over moderately uneven terrain for periods not exceeding 90 minutes, you might make some savings in the long run by replacing them all with Spots and hiring a few technicians instead. (It probably does have uses, it’s just that they weren’t illustrated at all in the video.)

3 Likes

I would buy for the red glowing butt-hole alone.

8 Likes

SY355

17 Likes

I’ve worked in construction for most of my life. At this stage, the best use I can see for Spot is to carry my tools for me. If it can follow me around and have a variety of my gear ready at hand, I can see it earning some of it’s keep. But at the price they ask, it would be better to hire a minimum wage helper, and over time they’ll learn to do construction work themselves.

8 Likes

I’d much rather have a robotic pooper scooper.

5 Likes
4 Likes

[fiction]

Boston Dynamics Acquired by Umbrella Corporation

Boston, MA April 1, 2029 - Boston Dynamics today announces purchase by multi-national R&D company the Umbrella Corporation, for an undisclosed amount in stock and cash. Umbrella CEO Jack Whiteknot described the move as, “critical for Umbrella’s strategic plan for dual-point market dominance in both wetware and mobile AI hardware synergy.”

[/fiction]

8 Likes

Yes! Getting this for jogging and long hikes, in case there’s a humanfail it can portage me back to the barn.

It does come with some robocoppish options, though, yes? :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Do you want

?

Because that’s how you get

black-mirror-metalhead-004 .

16 Likes

No sales to banana importers, though.

dog_banan

15 Likes

Free SPOT!!!

4 Likes

Besides the fact the commercial doesn’t show the robot doing anything useful, I really like the commercial production. Any body know how you’d find the firm that created it? Also pretty cool tune.

4 Likes