Boston Dynamic's robot dog is now for sale

Came here for the Metalhead reference. Was not disappointed.

8 Likes

Aw you beat me to it…

I say ro-bot-dog, turn him off, motherfucker! Say turn him off!

1 Like

We’ll just make robot cats to fight them.

5 Likes

How many hard mount points for remotely triggerable automatic weapons er… I mean cameras?

2 Likes

I’d pay for a robot that could sweep, dust and clean.

1 Like

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure it can be quite useful for search/rescue operations, in field research, military, etc., situations where it needs to carry gear in a potentially difficult terrain.

I think the video wasn’t really trying to showcase “Spot in Action” and more like showing some key things it’s capable of.

spot.GetCupcake();

4 Likes

A heckin good robo boi <3

4 Likes

1 Like

I feel the actualization of a robot hell-scape coming on.

For what would an actual business need one of these spawn of Satan? I saw one open a door for another one, and one carrying one cinder block, and one doing a little dance. So what’s the business use case for this? For what must be a six figure price, I don’t see it in this promo.

1 Like

Seriously, the use case is for doing things in an environment that is unfriendly to wheels and also to humans, due to temperature extremes, radiation, or some other factor.

For example, a horde of these things would have been pretty handy in the initial hours after the Fukushima disaster, I would imagine.

3 Likes

But how do they actually interact with the environment without hands?

The Japanese have lost several robots to the radiation inside those reactors. They aren’t bullet proof:

However, the robots aren’t working exactly as the company hoped. As soon as they get close to the reactors, the radiation destroys their wiring and renders them useless, causing long delays, Masuda said. The last robot inserted into one of the reactors sent only grainy images before breaking down.

2 Likes

I’ve seen older videos using these as pack animals for a bunch of gear in rough terrain. The ability to see through the camera and go places that drones can’t, for example buildings in a dangerous context. Fucking with the newspaper boy at 4am.

I bet they really nail your wallet with the add-on accessories.

The one that opens the door has the arm accessory although it looks like a head on a long neck.

2 Likes

I imagine it could be programmed to walk your doggy and pick up its poop.

2 Likes

They do have “hands.” The video showed an accessory appendage that can open doors.

Regarding radiation, that’s all a matter of shielding and dose. But eventually, in that kind of environment, the ionizing radiation will degrade the microprocessors unless heavily shielded.

3 Likes

That newspaper boy idea is good. You should propose it for their ads.

2 Likes

Juuuzzzzt bzzz loo-loo-loo-look click at iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

2 Likes

At first it barks to startle but then the remote operator can tell “Kevin” via speaker that he is working in a dead industry.

3 Likes

As Kevin is texting his friends.

1 Like