Boston Globe previews a front page from the Trump presidency

I actually think Trump is more electable. I think Trump is behind Clinton in the polls but unpredictable, while Cruz is behind Clinton in the polls and predictable.

3 Likes

Yup. Clinton is an adequate (at best) candidate against Cruz, but the worst possible candidate against Trump.

Bernie’d clobber either of 'em, of course.

I think that whoever gets their name in front of the most people the most times will generally win.

It’s much like the principle that “the more expensive lawyer always wins the case”. Not 100% true, but so close to it that you’d be a fool to place money on any other bet. :frowning:

1 Like

As if the Globe would ever post such a page about a Democrat.

1 Like

Ouch. So edgy.

3 Likes

It’s not fair and balanced to be concerned about Donald Trump’s immigration policies. We have to be equally concerned about everyone’s immigration policies or it shows we are biased.

4 Likes

Once more for the ones who slept through civics class:

Journalists do not have a duty to be “neutral”. They do have a duty to be partisans for the truth.

9 Likes

Do you remember all the hand-wringing conservatives did in 2008 when Obama won, there was talk of the “Obama Youth” brigades, fears that guns would be illegal (and subsequent ammo shortages from people stocking up), theories about conservatives being rounded up and put in FEMA camps. . . .

The difference here is that the Globe is pointing out things Trump has actually proposed.

7 Likes

As opposed to Hillary, who tells you the opposite of what the wants to do and so ensures her safety from pre-election parody?

Clinton seems terrible to me and I expect her to be terrible as president (since even money definitely goes to her winning right now). By the end of her term I expect support for her will serve as a litmus test for authoritarian personality since it will probably be very hard to support her for any other reason.

I don’t expect her to created a database to track the movements of people based on their religion, or to deport millions or people, or build a border wall. That’s the kind of stuff that makes the cautionary predictive front page.

What are they going to do, make a front page after 8 years of Clinton with the headline, “Trend in income inequality exactly where it was 8 years ago.” The kind of bad news the country is going to have after a Clinton administration is not the kind of stuff that papers print on their front pages, it’s the kind of stuff their corporate owners tell them not to print at all.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.