Boston man hasn't showered for 12 years, prefers homebrew bacteria spray

My bathroom in the 1890s-era house I live in was converted from a bedroom back in the 60s or 70s. I have no idea how much it’d cost to get an outlet of any sort installed, but the vague estimates I’ve gotten have kept me from putting one in. From what contractors have told me, the permit process to get an outlet put in near a toilet – this is in Boston, where everything’s bureaucratic – isn’t worth the effort.

Isn’t the bidet the Best Thing Ever?!!

1 Like

Two snaps-up in a circle… from across the room, in a respirator.

After a while it becomes bullet-proof.

The US has a peculiar obsession with being odor-free. It’s a wonder we haven’t bleached everything just to be sure.

might want to look into a bidetmatic then. It´s an add on for the toilet, with the same function. Not as classy, but as functional. http://img.webme.com/pic/b/bidematic/inout.jpg

Here’s an article from last spring by a woman who tried his method…
My No-Soap, No-Shampoo, Bacteria-Rich Hygiene Experiment - The New York Times

Meanwhile, I began to regret my decision to use AO+ as a replacement for soap and shampoo. People began asking if I’d “done something new” with my hair, which turned a full shade darker for being coated in oil that my scalp wouldn’t stop producing. I slept with a towel over my pillow and found myself avoiding parties and public events. Mortified by my body odor, I kept my arms pinned to my sides, unless someone volunteered to smell my armpit. One friend detected the smell of onions. Another caught a whiff of “pleasant pot.”

When I visited the gym, I followed AOBiome’s instructions, misting myself before leaving the house and again when I came home. The results: After letting the spray dry on my skin, I smelled better. Not odorless, but not as bad as I would have ordinarily. And, oddly, my feet didn’t smell at all.
My skin began to change for the better. It actually became softer and smoother, rather than dry and flaky, as though a sauna’s worth of humidity had penetrated my winter-hardened shell. And my complexion, prone to hormone-related breakouts, was clear. For the first time ever, my pores seemed to shrink. As I took my morning “shower” — a three-minute rinse in a bathroom devoid of hygiene products — I remembered all the antibiotics I took as a teenager to quell my acne. How funny it would be if adding bacteria were the answer all along.

As my experiment drew to a close, I found myself reluctant to return to my old routine of daily shampooing and face treatments. A month earlier, I packed all my hygiene products into a cooler and hid it away. On the last day of the experiment, I opened it up, wrinkling my nose at the chemical odor. Almost everything in the cooler was a synthesized liquid surfactant, with lab-manufactured ingredients engineered to smell good and add moisture to replace the oils they washed away.
4 Likes

Permit? For an outlet?

I’d suggest calling your local inspector and seeing what they say about pulling a permit for putting in an outlet instead of asking contractors who want you to redo your entire bathroom instead.

1 Like

So… Her skin got better, but her hair was gross and oily and she stank? Sounds like a winner to me!

2 Likes

Ladies, he’s single…

1 Like

You can order one off of Amazon at any time; woot and dailysteals often have them at steep discounts, as well. I have one in each of my 1.1 bathrooms and one in my office.

This is true, and I’ve been very tempted; as I noted above, the bigger problem isn’t buying a washlet/bidet, it’s having an electrical outlet to plug it into, as it’s very rare to find homes in America with outlets near a toilet. My bathroom has no outlet whatsoever, and the cost of installing one plus a washlet seat would be in the $1000+ range.

There are models under $100 that simply use your hot and cold water lines, or even cold-only models for under $30. I’ve used both and they’re fantastic.

1 Like

Also, this story reminds me of my step-sister deciding that instead of regular deodorant, she was going to use a “deodorant crystal”… It did not deodorize as well as she claimed it did.

1 Like

I will keep my eyes open for these. There’s several models like that on Amazon that are in the $170-$200 range.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.