Boston Market customers prepaid for Thanksgiving meals but found restaurant closed: "No employees ... Sorry!"

Here is the Rossmann video I was specifically referring to. I guess my point was that the people who are against raising the minimum wage aren’t going to listen to progressives or anyone else associating with Democrats or the left, but I don’t think they’re going to be swayed by anyone else either. Rossmann’s rant here didn’t seem to have any effect on the argument, and this video did get some attention at the time he posted it. But you’re right, Rossmann doesn’t fit neatly on the political spectrum. I would say he’s somewhere right of center on economic issues.

1 Like

I think if I was the person who put up the sign I would have just left the door unlocked…

4 Likes

Geez, I remember when they were a tiny local chain with like three shops. You could get a decent chicken dinner for a reasonable price. But that was many years (and changes of ownership) ago.

2 Likes

That’s definitely part of it.

But you also have a lot of people who just aren’t interested in cooking a large meal. Or aren’t capable of it.

We’ve been in the latter camp when we’ve done Thanksgiving over the last several years. My mother-in-law had been declining even before it became obvious she had dementia, and when she and her late husband moved into a smaller place it became difficult just to cook a large meal. After my father-in-law passed away, we decided it was too much work and stopped trying. Then she moved into a nursing home and didn’t have a kitchen.

I’d be curious to see numbers, though.

@anonotwit: It’s interesting to me that, apparently, if your mother-in-law can’t prepare the meal, it’s not going to happen.

It reminds me of why I never liked Thanksgiving (as an American woman born in the 50s): the “ladies” spent the entire day in the kitchen, on our feet, preparing food or cleaning up, while the men lounged. This continued long past the point that the men were the only ones needing a break from their full-time jobs (which was the excuse given to me for these unfair labor practices).

8 Likes

I mean, yeah, that’s why you buy things. I could in theory perform most of the tasks that lead to the things I buy, but it would be a bothersome time consuming task. The same is true for a lot of people and holiday meals. Some of us enjoy the task of cooking, but some just enjoy the meal without feeling any attachment to the cooking.

5 Likes

Eh. While quitting and closing the place is okay, giving away company stuff or leaving the door open would be way out on a limb.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.