Boston school district switches to a more accurate world map, blows kids' minds

3 Likes

Democratic People’s Republic of Korea is better because not only does it have “democratic” in the name but “people”, too. Democratic Republic of the Congo just leaves too much open to interpretation.

5 Likes

Gee, my father’s college geography book had Germany divided by dotted lines into four different parts, which doesn’t seem to be covered…

1 Like

Whaduya mean? Gorillas run the place or something?

3 Likes

Well with DPRK it never specifies which “people” so… I guess my argument breaks down.

1 Like

The weird thing about that is that when discussing climate and so on with Americans that live in Raleigh, North Carolina I mentioned that Raleigh was about on the same latitude as northern Morocco there was a chorus of disbelief. The Eurocentric attitude is astonishingly ingrained in people even when they are not European (although most of them were of European ancestry).

7 Likes

That would be the Occupation of Germany between 1945 and 1949:

Why yes, I know that, but the xkcd only gives you the choice of one Germany or two…

2 Likes

Well, it is inaccurate. Africa isn’t that shape. Nothing is that shape. Gall-Peters is a terrible map projection that’s been marketed with, largely, lies. There’s dozens of map projections that are better and represent the whole world as close to as it is as can be done. Peters shouldn’t even be on the name since he didn’t invent it.

It’s also unamerican and unpatriotic insofar as America stands for science and well-executed cartography. I’m not American. I can’t tell how much that is.

If you want the best map, cartographers have already worked it out. Either Winkel-Tripel (my choice and, vastly more importantly NatGeo’s choice) or Ginzburg V which beats it out in Capek, Richard. “Which is the best projection for the world map.” In Proceedings of the 20th international Cartographic Conference, vol. 5, pp. 3084-3093. 2001.

6 Likes

The reasons I’ve seen are: (1) Illuminati creating round-earth to make us seem less special, (2) Evolutionists creating round-earth to make us seem less special, and (3) NASA wanting more funding.

Honestly, people mostly seem to think (3), from what I’ve understood.

2 Likes

Texas bars close at 2 AM. “Accurate maps are important.”

3 Likes

Ditto. Started in 4th grade with a teacher who didn’t know how to divide numbers with decimal points. Continued through high school with an AP Economics teacher who refused to admit that there could be any difference between deflation and disinflation.

Then they’re missing two of the elephants in that image, I think. We need not discuss the fate of the fifth.

It’s not working very well, then.

Why yes, yes it does.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t exploring the other side of flat earth (the side we’ve never seen) require more funding?

4 Likes

no one posted Map Projection Transitions yet?

I like it best when paused to drag around the map and switch between projections

8 Likes

And where to BUILD THAT WALL

3 Likes

If they REALLY want to blow kids’ minds, why not give them the whole gamut of projections to look at, especially the Hammer Retroazimuthal and the Littrow projections.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Thanks! Like a doofus, I just went through my Uni access without checking to see if it was available online.

Reflex, I guess. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Those are on the Moon I saw a documentary on it.

3 Likes

I see that Robinson beats out Winkel III

Wasn’t Ginzburg involved in a project to produce inaccurate maps of the Soviet Union?

edit:

2 Likes