Botswana threatens to send 20,000 elephants to roam free in Germany

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/07/botswana-threatens-to-send-20000-elephants-to-roam-free-in-germany.html

3 Likes

If Germany doesn’t want them, I know a guy…

6 Likes

Bring it. Won’t be more hurly-burly than the Loveparade.

7 Likes

It would be a great GOP stunt. Just imagine an elephant stampede?

4 Likes

Greg Abbott: Hold my beer!

8 Likes

I hope they buy some huge down coats for them.

5 Likes

How are they going to smuggle them in? Operation Dumbo Drop x 20,000?

5 Likes

Depends on the size of the elephants I suppose.

10 Likes

Sendung Mit Der Maus Winter GIF by WDR

8 Likes

eric cartman school GIF by South Park

7 Likes

babar GIF

11 Likes

Confused Art GIF by grantkoltoons

6 Likes

Business class.

6 Likes

It’s from Germany’s most important children’s TV program, die Sendung mit der Maus.

About as culturally important to Germans as Mr. Rogers + Sesame Street is to Americans (sorry, I don’t know any Brazilian equivalents, I’m afraid).

The elephant is the mouse’s friend, but crucially, he’s much smaller than the mouse.

9 Likes
7 Likes

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if there’s validity to the Botswanan president’s claim of elephant overpopulation and financial ruin?

EDIT: Thank you everyone for the wonderfully kind and informative replies!

4 Likes
7 Likes

I am with Team Badfort myself.

2 Likes

Eh, a few weeks of a european winter would take care of that elephant problem so what’s the point?

3 Likes

What does 220k elephants convert to in feral hogs?

I can’t imagine what it’s like to live in a place where elephant damage is common. I probably saw 50 deer in my fields last night and it’s always a pain to keep them out of my gardens. That’s probably no more than an half an elephant at most. I also have difficulty wrapping my head around a world where I can side with the “let people kill elephants for trophies” faction.

5 Likes