Botswana threatens to send 20,000 elephants to roam free in Germany

Interesting. Babar was also broadcasted in Brazil by TV Cultura. But I am afraid die Sendung mit der Maus isn´t know here. But they have visited us.

[Brasilien-Spezial - Die Seite mit der Maus - WDR (wdrmaus.de)]

We had Vila Sésamo (sesame street) in the 1970´s, which i loved, Ratimbum and Castelo Ratimbum in the 1990´s.

[Vila Sésamo (1972) [Abertura] (youtube.com)]

[Abertura do Castelo Rá Tim Bum (youtube.com)]

[Rá Tim Bum - Abertura (youtube.com)]

Cute!

Thanks for sharing.

7 Likes

No, that’s the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.

7 Likes

Still looking for data from Kenya. Best source I’ve found says a 5% increase.

2 Likes

I imagine this is one of those cases where “overpopulation” means “more animals than humans are currently prepared to live with,” not “more animals than the local ecosystem would historically be able to support.”

Much like how North America’s idea of how many bears or wolves or elk should live in any given part of the country is a tiny fraction of what those animals’ population would have been in pre-Columbian times. Heck, even one grizzly bear wandering wild in California would probably be too many by many people’s reckoning, and grizzly bears kill far fewer people than African elephants.

15 Likes

sorry to break it to you, but there is no european winter anymore.

3 Likes

Yes there is! All year round! Indoors.

https://www.alpincenter.com/bottrop/en/indoor/snow-dome

2 Likes
5 Likes

World record white elephant gift!

4 Likes

If you suggested that introducing packs of wolves to suburban Washington DC was the answer to deer overpopulation, you’d probably get some pushback from people who don’t want to be mauled and eaten. Instead we have hunters out in the woods shooting the deer.

Maybe the Botswanans would like to emigrate to Germany where elephants don’t stomp. I don’t know what the answer is. It would suck sharing my neighborhood with dangerous gigantic animals.

3 Likes

What did the Berliner say when he saw 20,000 elephants coming over the hill?

There’s no hill. 20,000 elephants’ll do that.

4 Likes

Yeah, because Europeans have been famously welcoming to Africans as of late… /s

4 Likes

If Botswana is concerned that legislation is going to dry up their export coughpoaching market, then sure, see if exporting those animals live to a non-paying destination works out any better for them.

1 Like

I was in India about 14 years ago. We took a day trip to Mysuru to tour the Palace, and the big news story of the week was that a wild elephant had wandered into the city’s outskirts, got lost down some twisty roads, then panicked trying to leave; very sadly two people were killed. After my return I was visiting with my mother, told her the news, and she said her work-friend Seema was born in Mysuru.

Later, mom told me she was chatting with one of her (much younger) coworkers and mentioned that a wild elephant had trampled people in Seema’s home town. Her coworker got wide-eyed and said “They have wild elephants in Bloomington???”

4 Likes

Definitely. Which doesn’t mean that wolves would actually “maul and eat” people, of course. Because they typically don’t, but who knows about wildlife these days anyway.

People are not prepared to give up land or even convenience for biodiversity, so any narrative that appears to be remotely convincing will do.

4 Likes

The classical method would be to start in Spain and turn left at the Alps instead of right.
Or
Pack them in trunks.

I’ll get my coat

6 Likes

If they have the money sitting around to ship 20K elephants from Botswana to Germany their economy might be doing just a little better than reported.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.