Boutique jeans-maker hiring "breakers" to wear in denim

That’s the part I don’t get. That’s one hell of a lot of work for a very few pounds. The only ones who will sign up are the ones who don’t understand they’re working… kids.

Cf: Uber.

2 Likes

Many years ago, I read a piece of fiction where an outdoor guide generated a substantial part of his income by weathering backpacks and jeans for a company that provided this ‘service’ for city folk.

He’d take his regular paying customers out hunting, trekking, whatever, and supply them with shiny, brand-new equipment and clothes, and encourage them to mistreat it. Then he’d ship the stuff back to the company, rinse, repeat.

Fiction, meet fact.

Denim farming? Really?

1 Like

If you actually want jeans that haven’t been “broken in” you have to buy them where people who actually wear jeans to protect their legs at their jobs buy them. Find a construction worker and ask where they bought their jeans…

In Canada that’s Mark’s Work Wearhouse - wholly owned by Canadian Tire. The house brand is Denver Hayes and I’ve been wearing the same jeans model for nearly 10 years…

Levi’s make good, un-distressed jeans too, and if you find a number style you like you can wear them until you die since they’ve been making identical 501s or whatever since the early 1900s…

2 Likes

Levi’s sells brand new, unadulterated jeans on their website. Lately I’ve bought one pair a year, when they go on sale. I have a nice spectrum of fading going in my wardrobe on as a result!

I totally agree with you. Why do I want to spend a lot of money on what looks like used clothing? And why do designers and retailers think that’s what everyone wants?

2 Likes

there is a discount store near me with overstock etc that I browsed for your very same criteria this past summer. Surprisingly, there were a few choices in my size, but I went for pic related. Well-made and non-descript, deep indigo colored. Five pockets with rivets, extremely minimal back-pocket embroidery. Mine have traditional copper-colored stitching. I was going to link you to their website but they don’t seem to have one, so combined with finding them at the discount store I’m guessing they’re out of business, which is too bad. there are some retail links still selling them and an ebay sale was for the same price I got mine: $20 US–cheap!

the key is to search Vintage Genes 1891 jeans, that’s “Genes” with a G. Or try 1681; there was a typo on the ones I got, probably explains why they were at the discount store. It all sounds very fly-by-night, but I’m impressed by how well-made these are. Hope that helps someone. Assuming there’s still stock in your size they are a good buy, sez me.

1 Like

I could use a few extra bucks, but I’m too self-conscious to wear a beat-up old pair of jeans all the time. Is there a similar deal for underwear?

1 Like

I already wear the same pair of underwear for a month–for free!

1 Like

Someday people will invent a machine that can break in jeans more efficiently, and some artisan hero will stage an epic John Henry-esqe competition against a pair of mechanical buttocks.

5 Likes

And won’t you feel foolish when I get paid for it.

2 Likes

Where is this? Or what’s the name of the shop?

Appearing Friday at the Point! Doors at 8, music at 9!

2 Likes

I didn’t want to run an ad for them, so maybe I made it sound more mysterious than it really is. It’s just the Ross in the Edgewood Retail center. I don’t think that brand makes women’s jeans, though.

legendary.

ETA: [checks watch] nuts, I could still walk up there and catch the end… oh, wait. well, the Clothing Warehouse probably has some jeans, anyway :^)

This was really a thing? Seriously? Am I a complete freak in that I try to limit damage to my jeans to extend their functional lifespan (except for my “forging jeans” those are full of flux burns, scale burns, giant patches of oxide stain etc…).

Anyone who wants me to plug their jeans a few times so you can have cool (?) bullet holes, you pay shipping both ways, pay for the cost of ammo, and toss in a tenner, and I’ll be happy to pot your pants a few times. (note, slight extra charge for accuracy, so there aren’t large crotch holes etc…)[I guess unless you’re into that sort of thing. It’s your money and jeans, what do I care where the holes are…]

2 Likes

Well…sign me up…I could use some new trousers…pic relevant.

p.s.

Was? You used the wrong verb tense.

It gets worse. There was (is?) a market for battery acid damaged clothing. There was (is?) a market for barbed wire fence damaged clothing (blood stains important). If my buddies and I had had half a brain between us we would have sold our old work clothes instead of dropping them in the trash. To this day I do not understand the path through life that leads a person to covet old ranching work clothes.

The 80’s were a strange time.

Bear in mind that selling such a service runs afoul of that (piece of shit) patent.

Despite Texas being a bit pro-gun, even they might (stupidly) jack you up…

1 Like

I love that!

Back in the days when jeans were jeans, when you wore through the knees, you’d suddenly pop up with some cool cutoffs. Now people buy them with the knees cut, but can’t subsequently convert them to cutoffs, as that appears … cheap and, paradoxically, false.

I adore the idea that the garment industry is pumping out busted product that will self-destroy after 10 wears. It’s hysterical that people actually buy this stuff!

1 Like

I pray to all the gods that there is a market for ‘real crime’ jeans with bullet holes. I would then quite literally lay my body down at the altar of capitalism and confess just how right it was, all along.

You can still by old fashioned Levi’s 501 shrink to fit raw denim jeans.
There are also others that sell raw denim from that price level all the way up to several hundred.

Thanks! The one out near me is not great…

Yeah… that just sounded a like band name, and why not play at the (now non-existent) Point!