Bow to this rock-skipping master

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/06/bow-to-this-rock-skipping-mast.html

5 Likes

I wonder what a “regulation” stone looks like.

4 Likes

“All stones must be of naturally formed Easdale slate and be no more than 3 inches in diameter at its widest point.”

No rules about thickness, shape, weight, etc. Looks like Easdale Island has a natural monopoly without a lot of tedious manufacture and homologation. No doubt synthetic “practice” stones will be available on Amazon soon.

I like that the over-60 category is “Old Tosser”. :grin:

12 Likes

The main video link is down.

1 Like

Click “Watch this video on YouTube” and it works.

2 Likes

The Samsung Galaxy S6 performs particularly well here.

7 Likes

There’s a great ‘Almost Impossible’ video about achieving the maximum number of skips:

2 Likes

The second video sounds like he’s playing golf.

I believe backspin is the key.

5 Likes

Thanks, Teknocholer! Totally worth it!

1 Like

Spin is the key. Specifically back horizontal rifleing. Much like a rifle spins a bullet vertically to achieve greater distance, this guy spins it back against it’s horizontal axis and just the right angle so that its forward velocity slow down is minimized each time it hits the water. The spin prevents it from forward-dipping. It hits front side-up, like a speedboat, skipping and reducing drag.

3 Likes

I’m impressed that the lady in the green wig didn’t distract him and foul up his ‘game’.

That’s an Oompa Loompa you insensitive clod!

6 Likes

I’ve been a vaguely unimpressive rock-skipper since I was a young lad of 10 years. So I’ve never been in a competitive level skipping tournament, so I must ask… what’s with the Oompa Loompa costume? Is it required for all certified skipping officials?

Yes, but why?

1 Like

It’s the disgraced past champion, Opey Lopey. Oompa Loompas are legendary stone skimmers; they get it from practicing in the chocolate river and the psychadelic tunnel. Unfortunately there was a scandal a while back where Opey Lopey was caught pouring Fizzy Lifting Drink on his stones prior to competition. He’s been permanently banned from the sport. :’(

8 Likes
  1. My dad was a decent stone skipper, but not nearly that good.

2. Also wondering about the Oompa Loompa and why this isn’t the lead story.

Suggested Headline change would be, “Watch this Oompa Loompa watch a world class stone skipper skip a stone.”

3 Likes

And from watching other videos about him, I learned that in Nigeria stone skipping is called “Lami Lami” because the stone “licks the water” like a dragonfly skittering across the surface. Best thing I’ve heard all week. (have to watch this one on youtube too, won’t play on embed…)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nscXTupsEk

great intro, too.

2 Likes

It is both humbling and inspiring to watch a true master.

3 Likes

We need a contest of man vs machine

4 Likes