Watch Simone Biles's superhuman gymnastics routine in slow motion

Originally published at: Watch Simone Biles's superhuman gymnastics routine in slow motion | Boing Boing

9 Likes

“Appears”?

33 Likes

the goat GIF

That last flip… damn.

By way of contrast… Me doing basic tasks like walking up stairs…

Joe Biden Falling GIF

26 Likes

Are there any super slow mo of her on the vault?

People are kind of rooting for the Olympics to get cancelled but it would be a shame for her not to collect her due there.

9 Likes

Okay, I’ll be the first to admit that this young lady’s gymnastic routine is amazing to the point of almost being superhuman. But I don’t need a goddamn slo-mo video of anything. What the hell is wrong with you? Are you immortal or something? Do you really have that much life to waste?

13 Likes

Is that special second mat in the corner a thing now? I’ve not seen it before. Can any/every competitor request it?

2 Likes

If you were on the moon with its weaker gravity you might be able to do the routine at that speed for real.

3 Likes

Yeah, right? She is doing what every artist who ever put pencil/pen to paper and drew a superhero dreamed of. ( ok, mind you I’m thinking the gymnastic heros, Batman, Daredevil, Spiderman, etc. ) That’s just pinnacle of human potential right there, plain as day.

This is superhuman. This is a super human. “Appears” isn’t inaccurate, but it falls needlessly short.

4 Likes

I’m always mystified at how they could possibly judge things like this, skateboarding competitions, figure skating, etc. At full speed, how could you even count the number of rotations, inversions and… other things as well as say they’re doing it right? Superhuman, for sure.

8 Likes

It’s used if a hard landing is expected, on request

6 Likes

This would be the point where I’d be heading to the hospital, in traction.

12 Likes

A coach will sometimes use extra pads for difficult moves where the gymnast is still building confidence (blind landings usually). Anyone can use them in competition and the coach will quickly move it out of the way for the rest of the routine.

Judging is a developed skill and when you get to these levels, most judges are very experienced and most likely were competitors themselves at some point. Compulsory routines are pre-defined so you already know what moves to expect in advance, while optional routines are constructed of multiple tricks with different point values. As a judge, you get used to seeing the same moves performed over and over - just in different combinations.

Gymnasts build out and practice their routines over many years so these judges have probably seen variations of her routine several times in previous competitions.

8 Likes

Someday, she’ll be surpassed, but it’s sure fun to get to watch an athlete who is so far-and-away better than the competition do her thing. There have really only been a handful of folks who get that far ahead of the pack – Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps – that everyone else really is just fighting for 2d place.

4 Likes

I can’t tell if your post is sarcasm.

If not, I appreciated the slow mo because it makes her skills all the more astounding. It helps me see all that much better how much she packs into a brief couple of seconds. And how incredibly powerful and precise she is.

21 Likes

Yeah, that was impressive AF. So why did the audience do a sarcastic slow clap at the end?

13 Likes

Plus, if you watch the slo-mo version you can catch the part where she pauses to sign autographs for fans.

16 Likes

Anyone have any idea how much vert she gets here?
It looks like she’s up around 10’.

6 Likes

Pro-Tip: Have you tried not watching the video?

Yeah, it’s like when people take the time and trouble to bitch about something others appreciate and enjoy. Why do they waste all that precious life?

15 Likes

If you can’t spare two minutes to do something, then maybe you should be doing something else. If you can spare the time to complain about the slo-mo video then you had the spare time to watch it.

13 Likes