Superstar gymnast Simone Biles to her critics: "I can’t hear you over my 7 olympic medals"

Originally published at: Superstar gymnast Simone Biles to her critics: "I can't hear you over my 7 olympic medals" | Boing Boing

22 Likes

Well said, Ms. Biles!

22 Likes

Easy to accuse someone of being a quitter when you’ve never started anything worthwhile. Simone Biles is a treasure.

41 Likes

Armchair athletes unit! /s

25 Likes

<Obama mic drop.gif>

5 Likes

Who could watch her do her stuff and have anything negative to say? She’s truly amazing. She stretches the limits of what human bodies can do and does it with such grace and precision. Her physical prowess is only matched by her strength of character.

18 Likes

Unfortunately, there are racists and misogynists who spend lots of time targeting women of color online:

22 Likes

Simone Biles Sport GIF by Team USA

34 Likes

Nobody pushes the world away on a floor routine like Simone.

Just awesome power and control. Never get tired of seeing her.

23 Likes

I don’t know much but I know that that is something extra special.

9 Likes

I was of course disappointed we didn’t get to see her crush her enemies and see them driven before her, but it’s nice that we did not miss out on their lamentations.

25 Likes

d7dsd

8 Likes

As a a Canadian, I am reminded of the blatant racism still present in figure skating judging. Surya Bonaly, for example, does absolutely superhuman things on skates. Regardless she is cheated out of win after win because her routines aren’t “artistic” or “aesthetic” enough on the creative part of the scores. Judges openly talk about how she’s “athletic but not graceful”. All of which is, of course, dogwhistle bullshit euphemisms for being Black. Basically anything judged with subjective scoring can’t be won by Black people.

33 Likes

There’s a great Netflix series called “Losers” – about people who get really really close to the pinnacle of the sport but fall short. They had a great one on Bonaly.

10 Likes

Racists.

1 Like

Simone Biles GIF by GIPHY News

11 Likes

Calling Simone Biles a quitter after all the years, and years of daily training, competitions, and pain, and injuries is just unforgivable. It’s all part of the Right Wing’s war on reality. Sarah Palin is what a quitter looks like.

14 Likes

I hope she puts her health first though and is supported. Fuck the trolls

7 Likes

Actual tears of joy, reading that post. Wonderful.

I’d like to see any one of those 2000 “abusers” try ANYTHING resembling an athletic movement.
I bet they can barely walk to the fridge

2 Likes