Bowie and Bing play "Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy"

Who doesn’t?

I find most xmas songs to be troublesome in some aspect. I’d say half the songs are melancholic about xmas times past in a way that i just find outright depressing rather than nostalgic. Other songs are just boring or repetitive.

The more tongue in cheek ones i do get more enjoyment from, like All I want for Xmas is a Hippopotamus, or Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer.

3 Likes

I agree that LDB should be done with drones. Just more the “surgical strike” type. :imp:

3 Likes

every year i’m reminded how old i am because i remember watching this when it first aired. i didn’t know much about music, but i knew bowie was current and cool and my older sisters loved him, and bing was my grandmother’s favorite, so it was clearly a cross-generational olive branch.

3 Likes

Crosby was a major talent. He could act, sing, dance (a bit) and do comedy. Shame he was such an abusive asshole.

2 Likes

God, that was awesome.

Any love for Prince’s “Another Lonely Christmas”?

I dunno. Bowie had an early love for Anthony Newley, and his first album sounds a lot like music hall repertoire. Could be he thought it was a good idea.

When I reached the age where I was actually listening to (not merely hearing) the lyrics of songs, it dawned on me that ‘I’ll Be Home for Christmas’ is anything but comforting. Later I learned of its original context (being a soldier an ocean and a war away from home), which made it even more depressing

3 Likes

That one, White Christmas, and a couple of others i can’t be bothered to look up tend to be pretty depressing if you dwell on the lyrics. Then there’s Baby It’s Cold Outside which is rapey as fuck.

2 Likes

Not to mention We Wish You A Merry Christmas, which sounds all festive, but is actually just a bunch of drunk assholes sitting in your house and refusing to go home until you give them pudding.

5 Likes

Huh? Unless this is a climate change thing, I don’t see how that song is depressing. Nostalgic, yes, but not depressing.

It’s really not.

I had another post on this (which seems to have been deleted), and I’m not going to re-post it, but it comes down to:

There are two lines in the song which throw up the majority of the red flags.

If you replace those two lines, the song remains practically identical in tone and content:

In my opinion, that’s enough context to say that those lines should be given an innocent interpretation, if one is available. In my opinion, one is available, and those two lines should not be taken out of the context of the rest of the song to make the song about something it was never intended to be about.

And I’m not the only one who thinks so.

3 Likes

I think the “rapiness” of the song has gotten overblown, although I will say that the original sheet music identified the male voice as “The Wolf” and the female as “The Mouse”. It was a different time.

3 Likes

Christmas is a traditional time of the year to get depressed. Especially for soldiers.

besides the ‘rapiness’ of it makes the bo and luke duke version so much more fun.

4 Likes

Adding my “No, it isn’t.”

2 Likes

Irregularwebcomic?

Now there is a strip I’ve not heard in many years

1 Like

Bowie’s right. This song is the worst!

I remember exactly when that song was in the loop of pre-MTV music video programs. At the time, noone thought about it to become a christmas classic.

1 Like

This link fits into this conversation then:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.