Watch Wham's "Last Christmas", the second-worst Christmas song, in gorgeously remastered 4K

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/17/watch-whams-last-christmas.html

2 Likes

aw c’mon, its far far from the worst. if that song comes on the radio, the radio stays on. There are dozens of christmas songs so unbearable I’d have to change the station, and this is not one of them.

14 Likes

Someone’s trying to win this year’s Whamaggedon…

PS, what’s the first-worst?

4 Likes

I’m still in the pipe, five by five, coming up on Whamaggedon; so I’ll not be listening to it now :smiley:

@Jim_Campbell I couldn’t stand it at the time; but I’m come to accept that it isn’t that terrible. I mean, it’s no, “Careless Whisper”, but it isn’t unspeakable awful.

2 Likes

Slade Merry Christmas Everybody. Repetitive earworm with an unreasonable demand for relentless cheerfulness. On loop in my local supermarket

1 Like

8 Likes

As a song, it’s a perfectly okay 80s Wham pop tune.

But the only thing it has to do with Christmas is its title. So it’s a pretty crappy Christmas song.

2 Likes

Well, I hope this one is still ok:

6 Likes

That is 100% more Christmas-y than “Last Christmas”, definitely!

4 Likes

Also I’m personally moving Last Christmas down to 3rd in the Shitty Christmas Songs (Modern) charts because this one is really problematic:

20 Likes

NEARLY BROKE MY FINGER CLICKING THE LIKE BUTTON

Came here to say this, saw it instead, even better. Carry on.

(Side-note: Chris Rea’s “Driving Home for Christmas” would be my close second, not the mulletted ones)

3 Likes

Im also a fan of that Paul Mccartney song, i think BECAUSE it’s so weird. I think it’s still catchy. so… maybe don’t listen to my opinion.

4 Likes

Yes.
John Lennon: Think I’ll do a Christmas song. releases Happy Christmas (War is Over)
Paul McCartney: Think I’ll do a Christmas song. takes a steaming dump on the studio floor

8 Likes

I’ve really never had an issue with that song the way some do. It was more or less just him dashing off a Christmas song as he was figuring out how to use synthesizers. I’ve recently heard covers/remakes of it that show that it’s got a nice festive melody buried under all of the goofy synth noises.

5 Likes

Jordan Morris and Ted Leo put it best when they collaboratively called it “wet cocaine Atari.”

5 Likes

So it wasn’t actually a video, recorded on Betacam, but a film, shoot in 16 mm? In the latter case they re telecined the original film in 4K?

Bonus trailer. I had to check if the George Michael song was used in this “cinepanettone”, unfortunately not, there was a compilation of a lot of italo disco…

Little Drummer Boy, except for the Bing/Bowie duet version. I will die on this hill.

1 Like

The video is a bunch of heterosexual apartheid propaganda, Merry Christmas!

2 Likes

I can also make a case for this being a wonderful exception.

5 Likes

Okay, let me make sure I’m parsing this right because I feel like I’ve fallen into the mirror universe. Little Drummer Boy is the worst Christmas song, and the Crosby/Bowie version is the exception, meaning it is good?

2 Likes