Box rigged with firecracker provides unpleasant surprise for package thief

“Tonight on Live PD, we bust some package thieves…”

I wonder if they could be held liable for any injuries sustained as a result of the startling, though? Say, the thief jumps up and hits their head, hard enough to cause a serious injury, something like that. Not that I have any sympathy for the thief in that situation, but it seems like a risk for the trap-setter.

I like the GPS idea someone up above had. Video them stealing it, track them, notify the police, they get caught rather than merely scared away, and nobody gets hurt.

1 Like

It’s possible to sue a homeowner for an injury sustained on their property even if they’re up to something illegal, and it’s possible they can win. Weirder shit has happened. That being said a blank going off is highly unlikely to directly injure someone which is what I was trying to dispel, someone getting injured after their reaction is a whole other matter :slight_smile:

Hopefully.

Thieves piss me off but I’m not sure I’d resort to something that extreme.

If you’re going to go to all that time and effort to put up cameras, it would probably help to have one in a place that would capture the theif’s face.

What’s the sky look like on your planet?

1 Like

Well, it’s clear and sunny in mid-December…

One of my co-workers said one of her high-school friends got tired of having his car stereo stolen so when he replaced it he put razor blades all around it. Sure enough someone tried to steal it and there was a lot of blood all over the front seat. Though they also totally trashed the car, and he didn’t even try to claim it with the car insurance company for fear of the repercussions of setting the trap.

Zowie!

Years ago we had this one particular unionized technician who targeted me; he had a problem with ‘college boys’ and people from NYC. (He was vocal about it.) He was once seen spitting on the framed NYC subway map I had hanging in my cubicle, so I suspected him of being the one who kept flipping my cubicle wall-mounted nameplate upside down; I’d find it that way at least twice a week. So one day I filed the nameplate ends down to cutting edges, epoxied the backside so it’d stay in place, then slid the nameplate back into its holder. No evidence ever of blood, but that nameplate was never messed with again.

What a scumbag, guy sounds like a real piece of work

He definitely was; he actually ‘bragged’ once about having fragged an officer in Viet Nam.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.