Porch thief caught

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/12/porch-thief-caught.html

6 Likes

Uh…that is not a good doggo. What’s the point of having said large doggo when he doesn’t make a peep when a strangers walks into his yard?

(Also…this guy’s wife needs to start asking some questions about where else he has cameras…sheesh.)

3 Likes

I think his lucky turns had to do with the beeping that got more frequent as he got closer. He didn’t specifically mention having a tracker in the package but normally you don’t have a package outside when you are already home.

4 Likes

Woo hoo, lets risk jail time over a box that could contain something exciting like a water filter for a refrigerator!

9 Likes

Future Tech: Nest Cam Alert Dog Collar “Wake Up!”

3 Likes

:smiley:

2 Likes
1 Like

This sort of thing actually pisses me off, because I know that not only would the police where I live NEVER show up, if I went to a station to report it, they would do their best to try to talk me out of making a report, and would ridicule me in the process for being stupid enough to think the police would help me. (Ask me how I know!)

Plus, they didn’t do a high speed chase to freak the criminals out and put them in fight-or-flight mode. Calm and rational, which means the stolen item was returned and no one was hurt.

That’s just not my experience of police, at all.

10 Likes

With that many cameras and a motion detector, they must have known the packages were there. Why didn’t they bring them inside?

5 Likes

Not a good idea to steal from the Big Brother house.

1 Like

Cameras seem to work much better than walls in providing security.

1 Like

The package was bait for porch pirates, that’s why it was still outside.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s the point I was making. The video clip didn’t really make that clear.

3 Likes

I had the same negative experience with the Allston (just outside Boston) police many years ago (they may be better now, who knows). Someone tossed a brick through my car window late at night while it was parked on the street. I was awake so I quietly watched my car for a bit until I saw the asshole emerge from the nearby shadows and approach the broken window. I took a calculated risk and opened the front door to my building and he immediately changed direction, walking down the street. I watched him climb into the passenger seat of a nearby van so took down the licence plate and drove to the police station to report the incident. The guy working the counter had zero interest in what I was telling him, basically asking what were they supposed to do? Oh, I dunno. Maybe police type stuff? Keep an eye out for the van and see if you can catch them red-handed?

But I was young and naive living in the “city” for the first time. What did I know?

4 Likes

lets not bring this up again on the BBS

1 Like

In Canada, wearing a mask or disguise with intent is what American law calls a felony. Putting the bandanna over her face as she comes onto the property is a serious offence in itself.
Per the Criminal Code:
351.(2) Disguise with intent - Every one who, with intent to commit an indictable offence, has his face masked or coloured or is otherwise disguised is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years.

1 Like

So wait. They were both home and getting ready for bed but can’t be bothered to take the package that was left for them in? I know not to victim blame here but unless that box was out as bait WTF?

2 Likes

The fact that the package was clearly bait makes me think that the interior camera and “sleeping” hero were probably staged as well.

3 Likes

I am having a hard time deciding who is the bigger douche, the thief or the vigilante.

I’m envisioning Mr Truck guy being very proud of himself for baiting a couple of kids into stealing.

My guess is that this is an ongoing problem in their neighborhood. The pair were prowling the neighborhood late at night to scope out things to steal and that she had a bandanna already tied to the proper length to cover her face supports my assumption. It’s not like it was left beside the sidewalk, it was at the front door of a house.

1 Like