Boxed wine packaged with Cheez-It crackers as a "pairing"

I’m eating Hawkins Cheezies right now with Pacific Schwarzbock (8%).

2 Likes

Reminds me of high school :grin:

4 Likes

House Wine is delicious. Cheeze-It’s are delicious. What’s the “problem”?

3 Likes

That is not a pairing you would need a lovely picnic basket for. Skip the shower, slip on the sweats (or not), and binge-watch anything you want.

3 Likes

I saw a suggested name change for the communion wafer.

12 Likes

I don’t wanna brag or anything, but I was WAY ahead of the curve on this one.

Ah, now I don’t feel like doing a pic, but it’s Fish Eye cabernet and Aldi’s brand generic Cheezits. (white cheddar flavor). I apologize to no one for this.

8 Likes

You really shouldn’t be giving people ideas, ya know…

3 Likes

1 Like

The median human, by virtue of the way taste buds and satiation cues work in our species, quite likes Cheez-Its™. That’s why you can buy them by the ton.

Having a sophisticated palate and refined æsthetics (by whatever standard) means you might like certain acquired tastes even more. I ain’t sayin’ all yinz fancy-pants BB types are secretly gorging yourselves on cheap-ass mass-market junk food. And I ain’t sayin’ there aren’t good reasons to avoid the stuff. I am saying that chances are it would taste pretty good to you if you did.

4 Likes

I will have you know that I only partake of bespoke, artisanal, locally sourced, organic Cheez-Itz!

6 Likes

IMG_20190129_0001

17 Likes

Suffice it to say that a vast majority of all wine is shipped in giant bladders and bottled locally. It is, essentially ALL boxed wine, more or less. This is not new. Back in the day, wine was shipped in casks and bottled locally. Boxed wines just make more sense. Still, I applaud this as a, well, cheezy gimmick.

2 Likes

A friend of mine who inherited the family winery and has been in the business since forever says that, strictly speaking, ‘boxed’ is pretty much ideal wine storage. It’s just that it has developed a bad reputation and, as a result, mostly fairly terrible wines get to be sold like that.

I don’t know enough about wine to know, but I don’t see a reason to mistrust his opinion.

7 Likes

I guess that an argument for using bottle would be that they are relatively easy to recycle; but boxes, on the other hand, must be great for shipping, storage and pretty much everything else.

2 Likes

Personally, I love boxed wine. Chateau de Cardboard is fine with me. There are some that just love the romance of the the bottle and the {goddammotherfucking] cork. And this will remain. But most winery’s could save a ton of money going to boxed. I am sure sommeliers will beg to disagree as where is the … presentation without the bottle and cork?

4 Likes

The Sommelier holds boxed wine over their head and opens the tap straight in to their mouth, swills the the wine around a bit before swallowing it dramatically and delivering a resounds lip smacking, “Ah! That really hit the spot! Here, gimme your glass.”

7 Likes

As to the cork, you are NOT presented with it to sniff. This is stupid and shows your ignorance. You ARE expected to match the markings on the cork to the bottle to be certain that you are getting what you are paying for.

1 Like

Ha ha. Very funny…But I do take your point that boxed wines are more difficult to present in a restaurant setting. A good sommelier should be able to explain the fine points.

2 Likes

I guess that boxed wine could be decanted in to a… um… decanter, for posh settings.

2 Likes

Some wines probably do need to breathe so… why not?

2 Likes