Boxer dog derp dump: here are some of the many reasons Boxer dogs rule

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/09/13/boxer-dogs.html

5 Likes

Boxers have to be one of the nicest breeds – I’ve never met one that I didn’t like.

I would never own one though. Way too much manic energy for my personality (and one of my dogs is a Golden)!

2 Likes

They are incredibly sweet dogs. To me they usually look so stern and serious, and then I go see my friend with Boxers and I’m reminded that looks can be deceiving.

Their usual lifespan of seven to eight years is hard to take, though. Not that any dog lives forever, but still…

3 Likes

Boxers are pretty sweet but not a fan of having a breed of dog that is brachycephalic (aka: very short snouts). They can tire easily, have problems breathing, snore loudly, etc.

4 Likes

We had a boxer/lab mix who was a very difficult dog.
He liked to fight and almost never lost. He’s turn on a human too.
He was my dog though, and I still love him.
He’s been gone about 9 years, I guess.

2 Likes

Just watched the video of the boxer and his baby. A dog’s affection is more than we deserve…

2 Likes

My next door neighbor had a boxer named Mabel (great name for a dog). She got out one day and was waiting outside their door when we got home. We brought her into our yard just to be sure she didn’t run away and she got so excited she ran around in circles and then ate one of our tomatoes.

6 Likes

I prefer a dog that’s not dumb as a post

my parents inherited a dog from my sister and her husband which was a boxer/basenji cross, both parents were registered. his name was scooter and he was the best dog i have ever known. his mixture of boxer and basenji physical and emotional traits led to an amazingly leonine dog with an uplifting blend of loyalty and protectiveness. he lived 12 years and it was a privilege to know him.

i mean i really like my python but i loved that dog.

1 Like

We have one – a Puggle – but it was a rescue (as in unfixed mail, running down the side of the road, hit by a truck, could never find owner).

He’s actually a great dog (now that he’s fixed :slight_smile: ), but yea, he has nose issues…

1 Like

I’ve had both smart and dumb dogs, and in some ways, I prefer the dumb ones, or at least the dumb ones are easier. Less neurotic.

2 Likes

Mrs. V & I have 2 boxers that are all about taking up as much of your personal space as possible.

5 Likes

Some dogs are too smart for their own good.

I had a St. Bernard-English Setter mix. So basically a battering ram with a brain. He’d spend hours at the perimeter of the wireless fence, wearing down the collar until the battery died, then would wander the neighborhood.

4 Likes

The dumb dogs will listen to to you (if well trained). The really, really smart dogs will know when to second guess or ignore you. But there’s a valley in the middle of dogs who think they’re smart enough to out-think you, but aren’t. That’s where I see the neurosis happening.

2 Likes

Adopt an elderly boxer. You get all the derp, less frenetic insanity, and twice the love.

4 Likes

I’d put my golden in that category. She’s smart, but not quite as smart as she thinks.

1 Like

I’ve had hounds (lovable, but not wining any IQ contest), and you can’t use a wireless fence with them. If they see prey they lose all sense of pain, owing to the hormone rush, so they’ll just barrel through. It will, however, keep them from returning!

1 Like

My border/aussie mix has probably reprogrammed her chip to crack the wifi and go on line, is on a doggo forum right now saying that her hooman is smart, but not as smart as they think.

3 Likes

My impression is that border collies skirt that “so intelligent they’re neurotic” space. Is that true with yours?

A knew a family that had two Shetland Sheepdogs, they’re closely related to collies, they owned a house out by some farmland and the dogs lived outside most of the time. They were quite well behaved and trained but i presume it was because they had plenty of room to run and get stimulation, otherwise a high drive dog with a lot of intelligence gets bored and can become neurotic