Boy, 11, asks girl, 8, to see her puppies. She declines. He shoots and kills her

I don’t know what you’re talking about, but this is getting very OT.

It isn’t Thunderdome. The object is to get and eat the animal. People hunt with bows, even spears and other cruder instruments. But then you also open up to slower deaths and more wounding with poor shots. In my eyes an ethical hunt is one you can do fairly quickly and humanely.

As for a “chance”, you must have never hunted a dove. Those bastards are quick. (disclosure, not really a hunter, I have just hunted in the past)

I guess the hang up is the nomenclature?

ETA - as far as danger goes, I assume you drive a mini van with the safest crash rating, live in a one story house with no stairs, lack a pool, have sitting showers, and use only natural non-toxic cleaning products - why would you take any chances with anything less safe?

1 Like

More fruit in an avatar.

I already changed mine to a black and white portrait to get people to take me more seriously. Now I need to add produce as well?

3 Likes

I still don’t know what you or @nonentity are on about. Aren’t we talking about the murder of a little girl?

Back OT, jokers.

1 Like

Some whimsy helps some time, but OK.

2 Likes

I will. I’m also a Dean & DeLuca junky. I loooooooove going in there and seeing the seafood display on ice, with the cases of sweet treats. Mannnnnnnnn.

But there is nothing like your own game. Especially if you know how to prepare it.

I’m OK with tomatoes. I’ve had a few persimmons, too, if-u-know-what-I-mean. It’s a fruit thing.

1 Like

@IronEdithKidd: nice new avatar. Welcome to the fruit club.

3 Likes

I’d use a laser to hunt if one existed. I don’t want the animal to have a chance. I want it to die as rapidly and painlessly as possible, and get on my dinner table as soon as possible, too. Sport rules are there to level the playing field among hunters and between the government and hunters. With no regs, people would be out there with dynamite, grenades, automatic weapons and stringing razor wire between the trees. It would be a mess and people would lay waste to the land. The regs keep it more or less fair for all the people who want to hunt.

The animals don’t stand a chance. They never did. We proved that when we slaughtered the buffalo in the 1890’s, and then got bored and gutted Africa. And nowadays, it’s bad enough even with the skimpy regs that we do have, with all the bear-baiting, feeding deer & elk and all kinds of other unnecessary advantage people try to gain. There is a lot of illegal taking. I wish Fish & Game had a stronger hand.

Most hunters are upstanding. They are not out to hurt or maim animals, take too much, or cause damage to the land or people’s property. They want to bag their limit, of course, but they aren’t going to do illegal stuff to do it and go home empty-handed a lot if not most of the time. Most hunters like being outside because we find it peaceful and we love nature. We are watching it and appreciating it more than we are firing our guns at things. Just being out in it makes me personally feel like more of a human being, the way human beings actually are deep inside when you take away all the computers, cars, buildings and stuff of modern life. When I am outside, hunting or not, I am in touch with my most essential core self.

4 Likes

Peaceful nature and guns: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/19/us/a-culture-clash-over-guns-infiltrates-the-backcountry.html?_r=0

We don’t get the propaganda.
I used to be a reasonable target shooter with .22s, I’ve worked in military R&D (on improving the aiming of tank guns, so not totally unfamiliar with ordnance). I once lived in a high crime part of London for a couple of years and I kept a blunt instrument under the bed just in case - though nobody ever broke in. But, living in the UK, it just has never occurred to me to keep a gun in the house. We are not subjected to continuous advertisements, propaganda and politicians saying ridiculous things, so we don’t think about it - except in my case when I worry about my US relatives.
When the Hungerford massacre took place, it was discovered that Ryan had bought his guns from a shop not far from where I live. Not a single politician rushed into action to defend the shopkeeper or to suggest that the answer was to arm everybody in Berkshire. Instead, gun controls increased and the police started to take a very close interest in gun shops.
It’s a cultural difference. I’ve said it before, will doubtless say it again, the answer in the US is not to ban guns; it’s to abolish the NRA. If only the President could by executive order class it as a terrorist organisation…and ban the advertising of guns, which is not mentioned in the Amendment…I suspect the problem would start to go away.

4 Likes

Yep, those are the assholes hard at work trying to destroy it for everyone. I hate them.

It should be adequately clear by now that the world is largely populated by assholes. Indeed, it is imperative that public policy be designed with asshole-containment in mind. I’m sorry, but your beloved guns need to be kept out of the hands of assholes. This means that serious regulations need to happen as soon as possible.

It would. The NRA is not the NRA I grew up knowing about. Back in the 70’s and 80’s it was a gun club, like any local gun club, except on a national scale. Then it took a turn after Brady and became a politically motivated thing totally different than what a gun club is supposed to be.

They are no more an advocate for sane use of firearms than McDonald’s corporation is a spokesman for food safety and dietary health.

As far as I’m concerned, the NRA can go away yesterday. They are evil.

5 Likes

Hey, I agree with you. Also, my guns aren’t beloved. They are just long guns and if the regs got tighter, I’d happily comply. Now, my 3D printer, that thing is a personal treasure!!! Don’t mess with my 3D printer!!! No I am not printing guns with it!!!

1 Like

Safes and gun boxes are not being properly used unless they are bolted down.

Yes, they can still be taken, but a few extra minutes makes a big difference.

ETA - In the case of my larger safe, the bolts go through the back into wall studs, so there’s no clearance to cut the bolts from the back, and the bolt heads are inside the safe locked away.

Again, not saying it can’t be done, but it would be very difficult to get that thing out of here.

3 Likes

It wouldn’t be a typical grab-and-go robbery. And if that were the case, you would probably have bigger problems than being robbed.

2 Likes

People who are ignorant to history and disrespectful to artifacts are every where. Please don’t lump us all in together. I know a lot of history buff gun owners who would cry at such defacement. Such crap sickens me to no end.

I have seen many a thoughtless tourist damage centuries old artifacts. DON’T TOUCH THE CAVE WALLS. I have worked in two museums and despite signs and ropes, people still touch and damage shit. My German teacher told a story about knocking over a salt formation in the Dead Sea, not realize it was a natural wonder that took a long time to form. He was a pretty smart guy, but ignorance is everywhere.

1 Like

Again, this happened about a dozen miles from where I live. In the time since I moved here, this place has had a school shooting, a homocide at a Little League game (the result of a custody dispute gone out of control) and an unsolved double abduction/possible double homocide [the bodies haven’t been found].

I was just incredibly lucky.

1 Like