Bra holster misfire kills Michigan Republican delegate

“Victim blaming” is the attribution of responsibility for an offense to the person who suffered from it rather than the person who perpetrated it.

Since the victim here was also the perpetrator, there’s not really any way to misattribute responsibility.

33 Likes

So we can’t blame the gun, but we also can’t blame the person who fired it. So who was responsible, exactly?

23 Likes

Seems like that thing would limit the kinds of shirts one might choose to wear. Plus, that doesn’t look comfortable. Although maybe if I lived in constant fear, I might feel differently.

ETA:
Frankly I’m not sure I’d want that kitten under my shirt either. They’re super cute, but also scratchy/bleedy.

2 Likes

In this case I think it’s a case of bad design and then human error. But I don’t exactly understand the reason to rub salt in the wounds in what was clearly an accident. (I know, you don’t agree with them on something so I guess it’s hard to be empathetic). I guess the next time some poor person backs over their 2 year old you can rush to point out how they dun screwed up too.

That and I got a time out for “victim blaming” - so just be careful out there.

And while I can’t really look up this stuff at work due to surfing restrictions, I have seen holsters out there that I think are unsafe. One example is one for pocket pistols, worn around around neck, pointing up. Completely stupid in my eyes. I am not keen on the old style under the arm pit ones that has the gun pointing horizontally (think Miami Vice). There has been criticism with the SERPA style holsters, which do offer a retention system and being popular with cops, but also requiring you to hit a lever on drawing and can lead to an accidental discharge.

Regardless of what holster you use, bad form and POINTING IT AT YOUR FACE is like the number one rule violation. So you’re right that it is her fault, but being snarky about it doesn’t help.

7 Likes

Hmm - I guess then under that definition, then you’re right. Not victim blaming. Should I help pass out the clubs for the impending dead horse beating?

3 Likes

Shot herself with her own gun. Sounds pretty irresponsible to me. Don’t 'cha think?

1 Like

Thanks to @Mister44 for pointing out the double standard on victim blaming here.

You’re all going to die. All of you. Every single one. It’s the Gift of Man. Banning guns will not save you. Stop living in constant fear; guns are not the most likely source of your demise anyway. Your phobia of this one particular group of weapons is pointless and counterproductive.

6 Likes

Oh, stop victim blaming.

13 Likes

Is there a non-fear-based rationale for carrying concealed firearms?

11 Likes

Sure. But for many it is an antidote to fear; for example if you are carrying payroll it’ll make you much less fearful. That’s probably something that you could call a fear-based-rationale, but it’s a very reasonable one.

I know dozens of people who carry. I also know at least that many people who are fanatically anti-gun. It’s not hard to see which group is the one overwhelmed by fears, when you look at them.

I think the people who aren’t fear motivated don’t care one way or another about gun issues.

4 Likes

Plans for intentional assault? Dunno. “2nd Amendment!!!11!!1!!! USA! USA! Obummer Sucks. USA!” Or something…

3 Likes

The gif is freaking me out. It seems a bit tasteless to put with the story, and it doesn’t really tie in with it.

(Except for the stupid “cats and [gun] racks” pun that my brain supplied.)

Mind you, I suppose it’s no more tasteless than the black humour of the Darwin Awards, which I can find funny.

I don’t understand the appeal of gun ownership, and I definitely don’t understand the rationale behind carrying a poorly secured weapon against your chest, or indeed in your bag, or your car. I’m glad to live somewhere that guns aren’t common.

2 Likes

Something tells me you already have an answer to your own question.

i say we slap one of these on this whole story and move along to something a little more productive.

4 Likes

So thoughtful and poignant, they should read this as a eulogy to the families of every kid who dies from a gun accident.

15 Likes

Are you saying that it’s inappropriate to point out the inevitability of death at funerals?

Oh, sorry, it was just a rhetorical cheap shot! My bad, carry on then.

3 Likes

So it’s reasonable for gun owners to base their decisions on fear, but unreasonable for gun control advocates to base their decisions on fear.

11 Likes

It’d be awful kind of you!

1 Like

Where’d you get that from? Edit: Oh, I see. ANYway,

It’s unreasonable for you to fear your extremely unlikely death due to some unknown civilian’s firearm.

It’s totally reasonable for a person carrying payroll to fear they may attract criminals. Because, you know, that’s actually likely.

1 Like

OK - it’s a goofy way to die, and I guess I’m laughing a bit. But did you really have to do something as crass as illustrating the article with that kitten gif?

Once you put aside the oddness of the incident, and the fact that she was one of Them, not one of Us, you’re sitting around having a good laugh at someone’s death. Not classy.

2 Likes

Well, you may be right about me being wrong about just who’s sexist. Maybe it’s more the case that the NRA and the gun lobby in general, especially the manufacturers backing it so heavily financially, are the sexists. Actually, the more guns they can get in the hands (and purses, and even forfucksake bras) of women, the more guns they sell. Win win! Except for the people who die as a result, and Simply. Would. Not. Have. Otherwise.

But then, gun ads are often extremely sexist too. Gee, I wonder why? Ya think maybe these death merchants might know the general mindset of their target (grim “ha”) market, like, really really well?

1 Like