Brand new Margaret Thatcher statue egged within 2 hours of being installed

It was going to go up in London (Westminster?) but everyone admitted it would be a protest magnet. It has been in storage for 3 years or so. Read the linked Guardian story for full details of why and how it came to finally be put up in Grantham.

14 Likes

FTA:

The bronze statue was, without ceremony, placed on a 3-metre (10ft) high plinth to make it more difficult for protesters to inflict any damage.

They knew it wasn’t a great idea.

17 Likes

10ft deep plinth would have made more sense.
:slight_smile:

19 Likes

Because Tories think statues of dead bastards are more valuable than immigrants and trans people currently trying to survive in the UK.

32 Likes

Absolutely all of this.

9 Likes

FTFA: get a load of Peter Hook chucking eggs at a statue

11 Likes

Bloody amateur.
He’s only got a six-pack.

ETA. not talking about his tummy. No offense, you egg-bunging hero, you.

8 Likes

My all-time favorite Thatcherism:
". . . they are casting their problems on society and who is society? There is no such thing! There are individual men and women and there are families . . . "

3 Likes

Throws like a, um, bad thrower.

1 Like

Do unto her statue what she did to the country she was supposed to take care of: tear it down and sell it for scrap. Bronze is a hefty £4/kg, that’s good money just lying around, unguarded, and you know she’d approve, that’s just Capitalism as she preached and practiced it, and you don’t leave money just lying around.

21 Likes

Now you’re talking. I’ll bring my van, you grab the angle-grinder, we’ll get @gracchus on lookout, straight three-way split down the scrapyard. Quids in. Go Capitalism. Finally earned a bob from the Thatch.

:slight_smile:

10 Likes

the day after she passed it played everywhere on the streets of London

16 Likes

I know a lot of people have intense hatred for Thatcher; but why

…did it take so long for that first egging?

16 Likes

Fuck Thatcher.
Evil old bag tried to stop the german reunification. That was the worst thing she did to my country, at least the worst I know of.
May she rust in hell.

20 Likes

Indeed. I thank the lucky stars that nobody has taken advantage of people’s tendency to ignore boring looking blokes in high-vis vests by setting out sawhorses and a using a ladder to get close to the statue in broad daylight. Especially that hollow formed by the clasped hands, a pocket not visible from the street.

5 Likes

I did not know that.
I didn’t think it possible for my estimation of her to be any lower.
You have proved that wrong and I don’t know if I’m sadder or angrier, or both.
Fuck Thatcher.

6 Likes

When it comes to trans people, it’s not just Tories. TERFs tend to be self-described leftists.

1 Like

The Blairites TERs are not left wing, by Tony Blair’s own admission. I don’t think the tankie wing of the TERs are openly supported right now, since mindlessly supporting Russia is unfashionable at the moment.

I don’t think there are any other left wing factions.

5 Likes

I am inordinately pleased by the subtle optimism signaled by the presence of the word “first” in that headline.

7 Likes

They can self-described right up their assholes.

7 Likes