Brand new Margaret Thatcher statue egged within 2 hours of being installed

Originally published at: Brand new Margaret Thatcher statue egged within 2 hours of being installed | Boing Boing

16 Likes

If I were a chicken farmer, i’d set up a table nearby and sell my eggs, two for a pound.

27 Likes

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

24 Likes

Good. I lived in Grantham for a semester, and loved the place. I’m glad to see that at least some part of the town retains a proper sense of shame about that part of their history.

Better to celebrate:

1. Twice voted the most boring town in England.
  2. At one point home to the UK’s hottest curry.
  3. Home to Sir Isaac Newton’s grade school.
  4. Home to Brewster’s Brewing, which is great beer brewed by one of the most talented brewsters in the world.
32 Likes

I wonder who with the city thought this statue was a great idea :roll_eyes:

21 Likes

In case you don’t follow r/MurderedByWords:

77 Likes

A Brit I used to work with would wax fondly about Thatcher. He was also prone to bouts of racism towards South Asians, and was believed to be a closeted self-loathing homosexual by all his co-workers.

20 Likes

Should have made the statue out of iron.

17 Likes

Two hours?

That’s a disappointingly long time.

30 Likes
10 Likes

A waste of good eggs. There are more appropriate things to throw at that statue.

15 Likes

Iron (III) chloride solution is cheap and fairly harmless to people (though it stains like a bastard), but highly corrosive to most metals. I’m just glad no one put towels soaked in THAT on this noble statue. The only thing more upsetting would be if someone filled sandbags with FeCl3 crystals and slung them over the statue during heavy rainfall.

24 Likes

I sure hope none of those kids read up about passata and bronze rot

9 Likes

Note to the dog walkers of Grantham: fresh dog shit adheres well to statues.

9 Likes

Tomatoes you say… super soakers full of v8?

8 Likes

From the politician’s quotes in the Guardian…

divisive

Stephen Colbert No GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

16 Likes

It does make one wonder why the maximum sentence for damaging statuary has increased from 3 months to TEN FEKKIN YEARS?

11 Likes

Give an hour and with my portable saws-all I will have that dispatched back to hell where it belongs.

11 Likes

Shoulda made it out of bread.
Eggy Fingers (French toast) all round.
Bring a big frying pan and some HP sauce.

2 Likes
9 Likes