Local council seeks additional funds for Thatcher statue to pay for a tall anti-vandal plinth

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/01/stalin-upon-grantham.html

4 Likes

Just make the plinth out of the billions her acolytes have managed to squirrel away over the years since her premiership.

Also make the neck extra tough this time…

14 Likes

What’s the flight ceiling of an average pigeon?

13 Likes

The local council missed out an opportunity for creativity and public service and revenue generation here. Turning the interior of the plinth into a pissoir (pay version, of course) and surrounding it all with a little yellow moat would have been a fitting tribute with something for everyone

Since that isn’t happening, though, high-powered paint guns is the solution that comes to mind.

14 Likes

I hope they figure out how to stop the fleets of poop-bag delivery drones.

They should probably just put the whole thing in a protective burlap sack.

10 Likes

Nevermind, I think they’ve done a bang-up job capturing her essence.

15 Likes

Stalin kicked Hitler’s ass whereas Thatcher didn’t even work on ice-cream.

10 Likes

Nothing a good rope can’t fix.

1 Like

"The divisive nature of Baroness Thatcher due to her political career and policy legacy and the potential for this to result in vandalism has been raised as a concern.

The only division I’ve noted in opinions of Thatcher has been regarding the precise degree of her perfidy. Id est “evil” or “really evil”.

12 Likes

I think as a compromise, rather than a 10’ plinth, an 11’ hole and some fill would do.
She’ll be well protected from vandalism while still standing in the town centre.

14 Likes

Stalin’s hometown also has a statue!

At the risk of seemingly humorless, I must point out that this is a terrible bit of logic. Lucille Ball has a statue in her hometown as well. Does that mean she was a bad person? No. Clearly not.

Challenge accepted!

11 Likes

How about creating a Fallen Monument Park, like the one in Moscow, and dump the statue directly in it to start with? People can show up drunk, take a whizz on the statue, take selfies while mooning it, whatever helps them remember how ruinous she was.

We’ll need to build one on our side of the pond soon enough, so let us know how that works out for you.

7 Likes

I think you have your logic a bit messed up. The question that needs to be asked is “Do bad people deserve a statue, even in their hometown?” This wouldn’t be asked in cases like Lucille Ball, but should be for people like of Stalin and Thatcher.

16 Likes

This gender-neutral toilet is hard to get to!

10 Likes

I was in London when she passed I think she must have been really liked there because everywhere on the street there was a feeling of joy and people on every corner were playing a song in her memory.

I think the song was “ding dong the witch is dead” from the wizard of oz

20 Likes

I’ve been watching Ninja Warrior, i got this.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Thinking outside-the-box here:

• They could always pre-vandalize it; nothing slows down a mob more than a job already done.

• Have it installed in one of their homes, and never reveal which home.

• Work with the space administration to put it in a geosynchronous orbit over the town. It’ll be safe in space.

• Paint it with the blackest of black paint, and only display it at night.

• Put it on a spring platform, and mechanize it so it’s constantly bobbing and weaving.

• Make the statue of someone, anyone, else and just call it “Thatcher”.

• Give the money they were going to spend on the statue and platform to the poor in town. Good luck vandalizing the poor!

11 Likes

To underscore your point, Braunau am Inn, Austria does have a marker for its local boy made bad, but the sentiment is somewhat different. The house where Adolf was born is now commemorated with this:

For Peace, Freedom and Democracy
Never Again Fascism
Millions of Dead Remind Us

21 Likes