Branson spaces out

The von Kármán limit.

100km, or 328kft. But Nasa and the US Air Force use 50 miles instead which is what Branson hit.

So that will be the next line in the billionaire pissing contest. “First Billionaire to reach the real edge of space”

ETA: spelling

16 Likes

30 Likes

It does have the advantage of not looking like a penis.

7 Likes

Well, it’s not for me to say whether that’s an advantage or not. To each their own!

8 Likes

Jeff Bezos watching Branson: “Yeah, but my spaceship looks more virile and girthy.”

5 Likes

So now do I get to use my headline from the other thread?

Billionaire Bezos BeratesBegrudges Being Beaten By Billionaire Branson’s Better Booster Boondoggle

24 Likes

Begrudges?

11 Likes

Stolen. :wink:

8 Likes

If Spectre scoops up all the billionaire astronauts,

…how do we convince Spectre to keep them?

18 Likes

Being SPECTRE they naturally hold an auction. Highest bidder get to decide.

4 Likes

Except that they’re all Bond villains. How does that work?

10 Likes

Virgin Orbit (a different company owned by Branson) has already begun commercial satellite launches. It’s fairly boring though, launching small rockets dropped from a modified 747 rather that a weird custom launch vehicle.

5 Likes

I have a feeling we’ll be OK

14 Likes

Wake me when they award “first billionaire to reach escape velocity”.

9 Likes

Remember, Earth had to go through WWIII to get to first contact. So the billionaires are helping in their own way.

6 Likes

I’d prefer terminal velocity, as long as it actually is.

6 Likes

Made me think of this:

10 Likes

The media is so freaking lazy on this point. There already was a billionaire in space, Guy Laliberté, in 2009.

10 Likes

Remember that next time you buy a game or stream movie instead of washing the feet of the poor.

2 Likes

“capture his magical words and share them with the world later.”

Oh no, insane billionaires are now doing spells in space!

6 Likes