Branson spaces out

Being SPECTRE they naturally hold an auction. Highest bidder get to decide.

4 Likes

Except that they’re all Bond villains. How does that work?

10 Likes

Virgin Orbit (a different company owned by Branson) has already begun commercial satellite launches. It’s fairly boring though, launching small rockets dropped from a modified 747 rather that a weird custom launch vehicle.

5 Likes

I have a feeling we’ll be OK

14 Likes

Wake me when they award “first billionaire to reach escape velocity”.

9 Likes

Remember, Earth had to go through WWIII to get to first contact. So the billionaires are helping in their own way.

6 Likes

I’d prefer terminal velocity, as long as it actually is.

6 Likes

Made me think of this:

10 Likes

The media is so freaking lazy on this point. There already was a billionaire in space, Guy Laliberté, in 2009.

10 Likes

Remember that next time you buy a game or stream movie instead of washing the feet of the poor.

2 Likes

“capture his magical words and share them with the world later.”

Oh no, insane billionaires are now doing spells in space!

6 Likes

meh, i’m ok with it. anything that advances space stuff is good by me. i mean, even if he decided to use his billions for good terrestrial things (see Bill Gates), he still would not escape being slagged, so i can’t blame him for pursuing a long-held dream.

10 Likes

Laliberté was in orbit too, not just taking a sniff of vacuum for a few minutes. Dennis Tito is considered a billionaire today, but maybe he wasn’t when he flew, so that might not count.

6 Likes

The competition here is to be the first person to launch themselves into space. That is, they own the rockets and the companies that designed them.

7 Likes

All of those guys obviously had money to burn, I just thought most of them were mere centimillionaires!

Oh, forgot about Charles Simonyi. He was definitely a billionaire. He few to the ISS twice.

6 Likes

I’m with you. I say hurrah.

2 Likes

Does it seem like he’s channeling David Bowie?

1 Like

Yeah, I think of all the cocaine farmers and supercar engineers who have missed out.

2 Likes

Unfriendly takeover using Disney lawyers, then IPO.

5 Likes

This is a remarkable thing to have happened in my lifetime. We’ve gone from space being the province of highly-trained, borderline suicidal test pilots with “the right stuff” to people with too much money. Manned flight has always been more symbolic than useful, just a demonstration of how reliable and safe the launch and landing engineering was. When I was a child, there were two governments capable of a flight like this, and both killed astronauts in the process. Now there are 3 private companies as well as multiple countries in the mix.

6 Likes