Brave 1.0 launches, privacy-focused web browser finally out of beta

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/13/brave-1-0-launches-privacy-fo.html

4 Likes

Did Brendan Eich apologize for those donations to gay-hating organizations and give more money to pro-lgbt ones yet?

5 Likes

And has he apologized for inventing JavaScript yet?

2 Likes

JavaScript wasn’t his fault. He was writing a scheme interpreter and got told by management that he had to make a language that looked like Java and get it done in a couple weeks.

1 Like

Brave ads showing up as OS notifications is a step backwards IMHO. No thanks.

5 Likes

And like every other browser it does nothing to tamp down unnecessary Google-centric requests so teh GOOG still knows everything you do. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Brave’s whole schtick is that it has built-in ad blocking, but it replaces the ads with ads bought through brave and pays you for seeing them iirc, so there is some cutting down on Google there.

1 Like

Yeah, not saying it’s “bad”, just that it isn’t really an improvement either.

2 Likes

Out of beta? That must mean the desktop version because the mobile version wasn’t in beta and is now up to 1.5.0 on android and 1.13 on iOS.

1 Like

That you opt in to seeing. I use Brave and didn’t opt into their ad scheme, so I don’t see any ads. I’m hoping that doesn’t change with v1.

3 Likes

Is it better as-is than Firefox is with several privacy-based add-ons installed?

" Brave also has a plan to pay users and publishers for ads, reports Aliya Chaudhry at The Verge.

Funnily enough, unless you live in Africa. They use the classic “well there’s no money in the places where poor people live so you know… why would we send money there?” After they downgraded the entire continent (as well as some other poor countries) for braves referral compensation program there was some very upset Nigerian programmers who had initially put a lot of effort into spreading brave in the third world. They were subsequently banned from the forums.

1 Like

I get what they’re trying to do, but I’m not sure I’d want to open that can of worms. It seems legally/morally more fishy to replace content on someones website than to just block it.

I think I’ll stick with firefox. The firefox organisation might have become somewhat too manager heavy and political but at least they try to do the right thing.

Not saying the brave team doesn’t , I didn’t really follow the developments there, but I just don’t see enough of a difference to switch.

1 Like

On mobile, yes. Faster, and several sites which have weird rendering problems or even refused to load worked like charm.

One thing in particular: BB BBS / Discourse still does weird shit on FF mobile when I edit text. I cannot highlight / copy / paste properly. This also happens on other sites, but BB BBS is noticeably worse.

Like a BAT outta hell, Brave browser hits 1.0 with crypto-coin rewards for your fave websites

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.