Brazilian authoritarian Bolsonaro fires his culture minister for giving a speech plagiarized from Joseph Goebbels

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/18/wagner-the-dog.html

9 Likes

I’m sure if he had properly cited his sources he’d still have a job. Good to know where the line is drawn I guess.

20 Likes

Trump will be disappointed.

8 Likes

Disappointed? No doubt he will be looking at Alvim to replace Stephen Miller so Miller can become Press Sec.

13 Likes

When announcing the firing, Bolsonaro called the speech “an unfortunate pronouncement.”

Alvim’s pronunciation was not politically correct

4 Likes

I’m sure he could get his job back if he just said “I’m sorry… I got caught”.

4 Likes

When I hear the phrase “conservative art”, I reach for my lobster.

13 Likes

backed by a Wagner aria,

It’s actually the Prelude from Wagner’s Lohengrin, which opera a NY Times article on the affair notes was a favorite of Hitler’s.

9 Likes

I must admit that, if I were going to be a fascist, then I’d probably use Wagner as my sound track. He wrote some music that really encapsulates that whole, “doomed hero” Weltanschauung.

5 Likes

What better music to burn cities to? Those evil fuckers could pretend to be Parsifal and Siegfried and other heroic Germans while killing off the evil Other and dreaming Caspar David Friedrich idylls.

Have you seen Herzog’s Lessons of Darkness, his documentary on the burning of the Iraqi oil wells after, ahem, Operation Desert Storm? It makes extensive use of some of the Sturm-und-Drangier parts of Der Ring. Here’s a clip with Siegfried’s Funeral March on the soundtrack:

8 Likes

Apocalypse now:

4 Likes

Lawrence Weschler’s commentary on this scene, and a ton of related stuff, in Harper’s is really great!

4 Likes

Reminds me of an academic who was hired to teach a group of officers aboug the Middle East before the Kuwait war. He started by showing them the movie “The Battle of Algiers” as a warning. They saw it as an instruction movie. Then he quit.

6 Likes

Ironic, considering the Nazi attitude towards culture: “When I hear the word culture…That’s when I reach for my revolver.” --Attributed* to Herman Göring

*The exact history of this quote is a bit complicated. Suffice it to say that even if it not accurate, it does reflect the attitude.

3 Likes

Is there a video or article that shows what he took from Goebbels? I just see a video that looks like it was filmed in the 1970s with a frowning asshole trying to sound important.

edit: nevermind, I just clicked the referenced article :slight_smile:

Last month, in response to a reporter’s question about the still-unfolding scandal involving his Senator-son’s corruption and the family’s links to violent paramilitary militias, the president said “you have a terribly gay face,” and told another reporter to “ask your mother about your father.”

In case we were wondering what Trump’s next level is going to be…

3 Likes

We have our own Nazi problem in the White-R-House.

7 Likes

I think this was Wagner. And I like this…

1 Like

Considering how Wagner was a proto-fascist, it’d be most fitting choice. His beliefs were unimaginably nasty:

3 Likes

Boy, the Brazilian government sure takes copyright issues seriously.

1 Like