'Breaking Bad,' Season 5, Episode 15, 'Granite State': review

FYI - we featured the Junip song that’s used for the end montage a while back. You can download it here: http://boingboing.net/2013/03/05/junip-line-of-fire-fr.html

1 Like

Agreed, this can’t be the driving factor to get Walt moving. If it turns out that Vince Gilligan expects us to buy this, dragging out the Grey Matter storyline again after this long, I’ll be much upset.

The only thing I can make sense out of it is that Gretchen and Elliot are high-profile and connected enough that they’d get national attention, such as Charlie Rose, and therefore be on the television at a time when Walt might see it, providing a way for him to discover that the blue meth is still being made. I took this to mean he has learned Jesse is still alive. And something about that is the motivation for him to return to ABQ.

2 Likes

It’s not that paranoid though — if Hank or Gomie were still alive, and Skyler described that woman during the current questioning, they’d hone in on Lydia pretty quickly.

1 Like

Petite brunette with face covering glasses and a nervous demeanor? That’s not going to zero in on any one person. Hank had some suspicions about Madrigal and even saw Lydia once, but that connection seems like a real stretch. There are probably thousands of women who would meet that description working for Madrigal alone.

The Nazis are really enjoying their plot armor right now too. Breaking into homes under police surveillance, daylight robberies through the front door in an upscale neighborhood where there were no witnesses. I get that B&E was a day job for a long time, but this just seemed sloppy.

1 Like

My thought, when Jesse was trying to escape was that, even if he was successful, Andrea and Brock were still going to die, and he had to know that. Did he seriously think that he could not only escape, but also save them? How? By uprooting their entire life and moving them somewhere where Uncle Jack and Todd couldn’t find them?

2 Likes

I think that the New Hampshire motto, “Live Free Or Die,” is the primary motivation for putting Walt there.

The intervention in ‘Gray Matter’ has devolved into squabbling between the two sisters. Walt walks over and snatches up the ‘talking pillow’, so he can get his turn to speak.

Walt: ‘We all, in this room, love each other. We want what’s best for each and I know that. I am very grateful for that. What I want… what I want, what I need… is a choice.’

Skyler: ‘What does that mean?’

Walt: ‘Sometimes I feel like I never actually make any of my own… choices, I mean. My entire life, it just seems I never, you know, had a real say about any of it. With this last one, cancer, all I have left is how I choose to approach this.’

Skyler: ‘Then make the right choice. You’re not the only one it effects. What about our son? Don’t you want to see your daughter grow up? I just…’

Walt: ‘Of course I do! Skyler, you’ve read the statistics, you…shrug/sigh. These doctors, they’re talking about “surviving”. One year, two years, like it’s the only thing that matters. But what good is it to survive if I’m too sick to work, to enjoy a meal, to make love…’

For what time I have left, I want to live in my own house. I want to sleep in my own bed. I don’t want to choke down 30 and 40 pills every single day and lose my hair and lie around too tired to get up, and so nauseated I can’t even move my head. You, cleaning up after me and me, some dead man, some artificially alive, just marking time. No… no. And that’s how you would remember me, that ‘s the worst part.’

So that is my thought process, Skyler. Sorry. I choose not to do it.’

Every underlying dynamic in that family comes out in that scene. It’s one of the few times we hear Walt talk about his emotions at any real length, and we see in Skyler’s face, a confusion and despair that reveals to us how little Skyler knows or understands her husband, the man she’s been married to for 17? years. At the core of this Walt, with the motivation of being diagnosed with late stage lung cancer, we find everything that he becomes as ‘Heisenberg’. Plus one more statement Walt will make about himself, that he’s been frightened all his life. It’s a horrible path for getting there, but in the end he still expends his remaining time and energy ‘just surviving’ every manner of something or someone trying to kill him. No one in this series wanted to live and chose and make those choices count, more than that frightened angry dead man.

3 Likes

Kevin McFarland you are a jerk.

I’ve enjoyed your Breaking Bad reviews here on BoingBoing but I’ve been watching Dexter for 8 years and you decide to ruin the ending of the entire series in a throwaway sentence. No warning? The series finale? Yes spoilers declared for Breaking Bad but not for another series finale that practically aired at the same time as the show you’re reviewing? Let me stress again EIGHT YEAR SERIES FINALE. You get my point…

I will avoid your articles from here on. But thank you!

4 Likes

but walt told skyler exactly who she was - “she’s a former business associate who wants me to come back to work. i told her i’m not going back”

1 Like

don’t forget, we’re talking about the same guy who intentionally reopened the heisenberg investigation because he didn’t want his dea brother-in-law thinking that gale boetticher was heisenberg. walt’s ego/pride know no limits, especially when he’s already lost everything he loves

2 Likes

This episode was the equivalent of a slow chemo drip: you sit in a chair for an hour barely able to move because your energy is all gone and the horrible realization that this is probably the end makes your thoughts heavy and torpid and resigned to the anti-climax of actually dying.

Dr. Gilligan may have given us the necessary medicine this plot requires to get us all several feet closer to the show’s final resting place, but the feeling I had while taking the treatment was that “Ozymandias” was where the last final burst of vitality occured, and that now we’ve moved to hospice, to dutifully observe the inevitable.

But who knows, maybe the show will get up and lurch zombie-like to its conclusion, already partially decomposed but somehow able to straighten its tie before falling face forward on the recently waxed floors of the TV series retirement home.

1 Like

You should be thanking him, now you don’t have to watch the end of Dexter.

4 Likes

That won’t exactly be useful to the DEA for figuring out who she is though. Skyler has never heard of Madrigal Electromotive GmbH. All she can offer is a vague description of a woman that she threatened briefly several months ago.

1 Like

I’ma leave this here:

5 Likes

Do they have security cameras at the car wash. Security cameras are everywhere and can provide far more than a vague description.

1 Like

I’m willing to bet that Walter White was interested in not having any cameras that could record his comings and goings.

1 Like

vince gilligan has said publicly that he believes ozymandias was the best episode of the show – this is starting to feel like an epilogue, but when it’s this good, i’m fine with that

1 Like

your original question was regarding skyler’s paranoia - don’t forget skyler confronted lydia at the car wash, telling her to get out and never come back. that’s enough for lydia to see skyler as a threat. i mean, this is the lady that put a hit out on mike ehrmantraut - skyler is just a tick box on her to-do list.

1 Like

If you own the cameras you can delete any unwanted records.

1 Like

Walter will put the ricin in Lydia’s Stevia. Her death will make Todd very sad. His family won’t sympathise and so Todd will go on a rampage and kill them in meth lab explosion.

2 Likes