Breitbart is too dumb to survive the net neutrality apocalypse

Trying to stay on topic as best I can here but the one conservative group I haven’t heard complain a lot about net neutrality is those who homeschool their kids. I mean 2 to 5 kids streaming HD/4K video for at around 5 hours day and uploading homework/tests to their educational programs, you’d imagine it doesn’t take alot to reach a data cap and push already slow bandwidth speeds to their limit. The FCC giving the power to ISPs like Comcast & Spectrum (aka the ghost of Time Warner) to pick and choose which education is appropriate for their families and blocking the states to take further action should be totally freaking them out right now. I’m quite shocked that religious conservatives aren’t throwing a fit about this at all since the Trump admin would be willing to kneecap something like this.

3 Likes

One doesn’t rule out the other… Had 18th century West Africans produced a PSA poster which said “Beware the white devils, they will kidnap you, enslave you and drag you off to a different continent,” it would have been both racist and factually correct.

2 Likes

A fair point but not a great analogy. In your example a poster stating “Beware the British white devils,…” etc. would be closer to the poster Medievalist brought up.

As in it’s not simply claiming that generic Russians will be ravishing our women, it’s specifically those Asiatic Russians.

There’s a reason the Asiatic is in there. I doubt it’s an interest in geographic accuracy.

1 Like

In an era where education is prized ever less, so to speak, why would anyone expect much intelligence getting displayed at Breitbart?

The Asiatic adjective was there clearly for the purpose of fomenting racial fear and hatred, no question about it - coming hot off the heals of the Yellow Peril narrative (interestingly, Nazis had used a similar propaganda tactic once the Russian forces begun closing in on the Reich from the east…) I was not endorsing that angle, I just wanted to point out that Soviets indeed did thoroughly rape, murder and pillage their way through all and any occupied area and their victory in the Cold war would have pretty much resulted in what the poster advertised, racist rhetoric or not.

3 Likes

They don’t understand or don’t care. To them, it’s just fine to pull it all together under this administration, because ® rule means godliness will prevail.
Source: libtard leftist scum homeschooler mom here.
Nearly completed. And I’m glad because I’m a super-minority in my area.

1 Like

Can’t we just call the whole thing Afro-Eur-Asia and be done with it? We could cross the whole damn thing without having to go through water, so why not?

1 Like

Yes, it’s entirely political.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Scientology’s continents. L. Ron Hubbard said so!

1 Like

Hubbard was a Brexiter?

4 Likes

As an old cheesy movie buff, I find the poster very amusing.

It is a publicity still from the film Dr. Cyclops
https://www.monstersinmotion.com/cart/dvd-video-collection-item-list-d-c-1_61/dr-cyclops-1940-dvd-p-23084

1 Like

How does Italy rate as it’s own continent?

Hmm - so isn’t that poster a bit weird? IIRC most of Russia’s population is west of the Ural Mountains.

Italexit? It’s Scientology, you’re not supposed to ask questions.

2 Likes

“Principled” doesn’t mean that you don’t loathe your ideological opponents and wish that their message could be buried: it means that you’re smart enough to know that any such attack on freedom, fairness and openness will someday be turned on you.

Sure it does. Loathing and wishing don’t do anything but allow for emotional/personal problems to get in the way of constructive activism. It’s license to be just a bit reactionary, and it eventually gets away from people.

It’s not pie-in-the-sky, privileged libertarianism that relies on a perfectly spherical marketplace of ideas of uniform density travelling on a theoretical frictionless internet: it’s pure, informed self-interest guided by the self-control and foresight to know that the weapons you fashion know no allegiance to you.

“Informed self-interest” is a contradiction in terms. People don’t truly have individual personal identities. But they are biologically programmed to believe that they do. This is the basis of the problem of the social illusion that some people magically have more power than others, rather than accepting that it makes no objective difference. THIS is why people struggle against neutrality in all areas of life - the notion that “I matter more because I’m ME”, and it can only be fixed at a bioloigical/species level.

1 Like

National Borders are definitely arbitrary, landmass borders not so much. Plate Tectonics place the border at the Ural Mountains, not us silly humes (IIRC from geology class.)

1 Like

I thought the video that @Wanderfound tackled that issue as well.

1 Like

Hadn’t scrolled that far yet!

Don’t want to derail further, but I have to say that the legwork behind continental drift theory and plate tectonics is absolutely fascinating (also, Alfred Wegener has an excellent definition of “truth”.)

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/history/wegener.html

2 Likes

it’s a good overview of the problem of continents.

Thanks for the link!

2 Likes