Breitbart's unhinged "Civil War" reviewer dreams of a President who "shoots journalists on sight"

According to a Serbian colleague who loves studying history, and who also hated briefly living through history: Your description is pretty much any modern civil war. There’s no neutrality, there’s no front line. You must pick a side or escape, now.

His family got out quickly. He was Serbian and married to a Bosnian. There was no future for them.

11 Likes

This was quoted recently on the BBS (maybe by you, @Mindysan33), but I can’t find it right now. It feels pertinent to a movie set in modern America called “Civil War” that doesn’t address how a Civil War might’ve come to be.

“Every film is political. Most political of all are those that pretend not to be: ‘entertainment’ movies. They are the most political films there are because they dismiss the possibility of change. In every frame they tell you everything’s fine the way it is. They are a continual advertisement for things as they are.” – Wim Wenders

4 Likes

Certainly made him a target of the Bosnian serb militias seeking to destroy Sarajevo. Few places put a lie to their ideology than that city… Glad he made it out of the wars… it’s fucked up that so many people did not. :sob:

But to my larger point, the militias tearing Bosnia apart weren’t apolitical. They very much had a political viewpoint. Context matters…

That’s a good quote. Could be one of the articles I posted about this…

In the interview I posted above, he argued it was political, not the “left-right” way of thinking about politics, but “extremist vs. centrists”… which… :rage:

4 Likes

Journalist writing movie review requests their own extinction. Wow.

3 Likes

Leopards. Faces. You know.

8 Likes

As long as it kills lots of people that they hate… but of course, these aren’t actually journalists, they’re propagandists for the far right.

12 Likes

The more I hear about this “incendiary” film, the less I am interested in seeing it… which is saying something, because I had very little interest to begin with.

I don’t care who’s in it, or who’s upset by its existence; the narrative sounds weak and poorly thought out, which violates my personal first rule:

Before you do anything else, tell me a good story.

From all I have heard thus far, including seeing numerous previews & trailers, this film does not sound like it meets that standard.

Also side-eyeing the source on this;

Breitbart is still a thing?

9 Likes

So I saw Civil War last night in an empty theatre in rural Nevada.

My observations:

• complaining about the ambiguity or details around who’s who (relative to modern politics) IS COMPLETELY MISSING THE POINT. It doesn’t matter - what does is the impact that violence has on people.
  • I’m aghast (as a humble Canadian) that this film received a wide theatrical release in the US. It pushes ALL the buttons but said ambiguity likely leaves many local viewers completely confused as to who best to identify with. It does so very purposefully- it’s not a case of trying to appeal to everyone.
  • this thing is incredibly tense, technically incredible, and well acted. The timing couldn’t be worse - or better (especially given how happy the MAGA crowd is to usher in a new Civil War / The Rapture). Sadly the film is likely too sophisticated for any positive impact on this group.

There’s a great Reddit that goes into many of these things. Overall- strongly recommend but prepare yourself.

6 Likes

I think that a film released at this moment, from the U.S., when one party is openly and repeatedly advocating for violence against their opponents, and refuses to be frank about how we get to an open civil war IS COMPLETELY MISSING THE POINT. Some of us are quite aware of the impact violence has on people.

9 Likes

I get it - but would they agree with you? I suspect not from what I see. The MAGAs are being conditioned to feel like the victims in their narrative.

That’s why I respectfully disagree with you and still hope for a better tomorrow.

1 Like

I give zero fucks about whether they agree with me or not. They are cheering on a totalitarian future for the U.S. I’m not seeking common ground with people who want to ignore elections and exterminate people they don’t agree with.

You said the movie is unlikely to reach any MAGAts in any case, so what’s the point in tiptoeing around what the actual problem is in the U.S. right now? I do hope for a better tomorrow. We will not reach a better tomorrow if we don’t directly confront fascism and totalitarianism.

7 Likes

Apologies, but I already have to deal with that fact in real life, so that’s also not any kind of incentive to me.

All of that sounds like throwing gas on an already existing fire; I see no personal benefit in watching such a film, when I am actively combatting FUD on an everyday basis.

Excellent question.

9 Likes

Ok, so we all need to buy and start wearing these glasses:

Because when all the militias see us homos and trans and liberals (and liberal trans homos) wearing them, they’ll say, “Grrrr! They ruined it for us!”

(Someone get Lady Gaga on the phone.)

7 Likes

Dude… Someone wrote down your licence plate number. :wink:

Humble Canadian is the name of my Gordon Lightfoot/Arcade Fire mashup act.
I’ll show myself out.

P.S. Thanks for the Reddit recommendation. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I ain’t seen the film yet but the interview Garland did on Kermode & Mayo’s Take adds context that some may find useful. Doesn’t sound like fence sitting to me, Mayo pointed out that, to him, the film certainly takes an antifascist stance.

4 Likes

I guess I’m not familiar with their show? What are they like, generally speaking?

2 Likes

Well, i guess they’ve been doing a film review show for, like, 20 years now? Used to be with the BBC until they moved to a podcast format a couple years ago which means they are more free to bring politics into the things they discuss. And certainly left leaning when it comes to politics. So, i would say well respected - Simon Mayo asks good questions and Mark Kermode has, i think, a lot of worthwhile things to say about films. The latter’s history of epic rants about terrible films is well known.

3 Likes

Okay! thanks. Maybe I’ll check it out!

2 Likes

The X Files Sigh GIF

2 Likes