Brett Kavanaugh lied to the Senate. Many times. Here's a long list, and a video supercut

Honestly if someone lied to my face and then expected me to vote for them because my party expected it of me, I’d be like- no, fuck you.

1 Like

I meant, like, he could deny remembering the specifics but admit that he used to be that kind of shithead (which might actually be the truth). I don’t think anything short of a full confession would be enough for a criminal prosecution, and even a civil case would be difficult to prove if he didn’t corroborate the details.

Point being, he didn’t need to play it the way he did for legal reasons. And it didn’t win him any Senate votes.

2 Likes

And yet it seems to all boil down to just three R senators who won’t reveal their positions. Why not just say? The fucking drama and game playing, it itches.

3 Likes

What are the odds that his family tradition of keeping calendars might not last much longer?

2 Likes

I guess you’re not a career politician?

Politicians don’t have to be this way, but it seems to be the currently favoured style for the majority.

I still wouldn’t want him to be a Supreme, but I’d have a lot more respect for him if he just said “I used to drink a lot, and I know I hurt a lot of people. I don’t recall this incident, which doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. I’m deeply sorry to Ms. Ford and all I hurt during that time. I’ve worked the rest of my life to make up for those mistakes.”

I mean, evangelicals fucking love a reformed sinner (who is also a Christian/Republican) why would this not be his winning move? Do these Trumpian days mean it’s not enough to be a regular Republican asshole, you have to go for the bonus points to really rub it in just to pwn the libs?

7 Likes

And just to add to the crazy, at the time, oral sex between consenting adults was illegal in Maryland. ISTR that the convicted some guy of it around that period of time.

And that caveat is important. Carter was ridiculed when he said that he had had lust in his heart.

2 Likes

…and the Sargent came over, pinned a medal on me, sent me down the hall, said, “You’re our boy.”

3 Likes

I believe they’re playing for time and hoping that either Kavanaugh or the White House gives up on the nomination, so they don’t have to vote either for him (which will piss off independents, especially women, and energize Democratic voters) or against him (which would piss off a bunch of their hardcore Republican voters).

2 Likes

Yes, it’s just applied differently for different people.

1 Like

kavanaugh immediately sets off all my creep-o-meters to maximum.
i wouldn’t want someone like him to be any type of judge.

2 Likes

im quoting someone else when i say for him, it was just another night of drinking and boys being boys. absolutely nothing notable to remember.

for the person (people!) he assaulted, how could they not remember.

he didn’t mean badly, so he’s not a bad person, and couldn’t have hurt anybody. that’s his view on it i’m sure.

1 Like

Yeah, that better articulates what I had in mind. Given that he’s going to be confirmed either way, it would cost him nothing. In fact, it would have rehabilitated his reputation to some degree, and instead of simply denying that sexual assault happens, it would make the case (such as it is) for accused assailants as people.

In my last post, I said he chose not to do that because the GOP position is “we’re Team Rape, have fun being on Team Rape Victim”. But then I was thinking, am I being ridiculous there? What are the alternatives?

• Kavanaugh thought he was humanising himself with his theatrics? And he just doesn’t get what “human” looks like for anyone not like him?
  • He thought admitting anything at all would alienate GOP faux-Christians? Even though it’s patently untrue that this is how they think, and his teen-football-nun act is a transparent lie?
  • Or, getting all psychological, maybe he doesn’t want to humanise that part of himself, because he thinks he’s Bruce Banner and it was the Hulk that did (does?) that stuff.
  • Or, I am overcomplicating it: TGOP assholes don’t give a meaningful shit about the collateral damage of their toxic personalities, they just reflexively attack anyone who gets in the way of what they want.

Anyway, I think we’ve ruled out the possibility that he might be judge material in a civilised society. You’d think that would be the bottom line.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.