Brexit and Brexit Accessories

NEXT: “Bre-entry”

7 Likes

That short interview clip with the eel exporter is quite extraordinary to watch, the fuck did he think would happen.

You believed the Tory bullshitters again, didn’t you?

10 Likes

Something about leopards eating faces would be appropriate I think.

12 Likes

“I thought we were going to get a global market”

The EU is the closest thing that exists in 2021 to a global market, a global community, a global civilization. If that’s what people want, they should be clamoring to get in, not to leave :confused:

12 Likes

The Brexiteer myth of the Single Market is that it is a dead end, stagnant, inward-looking, protectionist and an obstacle to trade with the rest of the world. Yesterday the short news bulletin on BBC Radio 3 (the classical music channel) had a soundbite from a member of the European Research Group crowing that the UK was now out of the Customs Union, which blocks global trade by charging import duty on goods from outside the EU – just as every sovereign independent country does.

5 Likes

Did they ever do any research? Obvious point I know.

6 Likes

I think that they spent their time “researching” how Britain would be better off outside the EU.

2 Likes

It seems they somehow missed that The EmpireTM has ceased to be.

2 Likes
4 Likes

He’s old enough to remember all the “red tape” that exports used to require before the Single Market was established in 1992. Or perhaps he only got into exporting live eels after 1992 because it was too difficult before.

9 Likes

Compared to the previous system:

[Elliot and Esmée decide to do business]—[Elliot sends the fish]—[Chris drives them to Esmée]

ETA: I especially like how they have given some steps subnumbers, so that the total steps look to be 19 rather than 25

8 Likes

Every one of the steps is an opportunity to siphon away some money to a consultant. There’s the real reason for the push for Brexit.

ETA: and racism. Almost let that slide.

10 Likes

My cousin Donny is right…

“Government is the problem” → “The EU is a government” → “The EU causes all our problems”

Is there a British equivalent to Grover Norquist trying to drown America in a bathtub?

3 Likes

The rest of that thread makes for interesting reading but i suspect brexiters who run businesses have already had their heavy dose of reality and must be extremely worried. I should hope they are, they were warned of the sludge of bureaucracy they’d likely be moving through if we left and yet they persisted! Fucks to give, i have none.

3 Likes

Brexiteers talked about liberating Britain from EU red tape, but they also want a more activist government that can take advantage of the opportunities supposedly opened up by Brexit. There’s a coterie of rich libertarian Brexiteers who want to make the UK a tax haven and see deregulation as the way to regain competitiveness (and/or supported Brexit as a pretext for deregulation), but there are also economic interventionists who want the government to support British industry with state aid and “buy British” policies.

3 Likes
7 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

Daniel Hannan spouting Daniel Hannan stuff isn’t really newsworthy but, wait, that pseudo-intellectual prophet of Singapore-on-Thames and Rule by City Boy has been made a peer?

4 Likes