Brexit and Brexit Accessories

“Tired and emotional”?

7 Likes

Well it is after lunch.

I think he needs a few days off the job “Boris Johnson is unwell” they can say

5 Likes

3 Likes
1 Like

Is this what it looks like when you finally acknowledge the cogntive dissonance?

1 Like

In Might as Well Face It, You’re Addicted to Fudge, Dr. Awkward is rapidly gaining weight due to her addiction to Albumen’s home-made fudge. Unfortunately, Albumen has been illegally selling his confectionery on the Magdalen Bridge (in British imperial units), and all the fudge has been confiscated by the police as evidence. Albumen is very defensive of the old imperial measures and calls himself a “metric martyr”. Meanwhile, the secret council is in need of an offshore island to control, and Cuba seems to be a good option. Adonis disguises himself as Cuban exile Señor Guacamole and visits the somewhat dimwitted US president George W. Shrub, in order to make him believe he has to invade Cuba. He succeeds, and visits UK prime minister Tony Caring while he is at it, also persuading him he has to declare war on Cuba, but also to leave the European Union and reinstate the old British imperial measures. Meanwhile, Hannah has broken into the police station and eaten the 17 kilos worth of fudge they had confiscated as evidence. Both she and Albumen are arrested by Constable Haywain. However, the council has found out that Cuba is no longer an option, because it will be hit by a tidal wave. Adonis returns to America and persuades president Shrub (“Call me Dubya!”) by means of a special cigar to reconsider declaring war. He explains to the council that, now that Britain has left the European Union, it will be available as their own exploitable offshore island. Albumen receives a pardon from the prime minister in a foolscap envelope, on quarto parchment, handwritten with ink made from soot and cold tea.

Release date: July 28, 2002

2 Likes
11 Likes

Sean Flanagan Laugh GIF by FoilArmsandHog

2 Likes
12 Likes

This is insanity

6 Likes

But, but - private sector efficiency!

7 Likes

Fuck, I hate Capita so much. I have to deal with their malevolent ineptitude on a daily basis. Actually, there’s one woman in an office of theirs in Belfast that deals with stuff that we’re involved in who calls us and tries to fix broken shit. She’s great. Obviously in the wrong job, and they’ll beat it out of her eventually, but I admire her for trying.

8 Likes

Academics horrified that administration of Turing student exchange scheme outsourced to Capita

[…]
The University and College Union (UCU), which represents more than 130,000 academics and lecturers, was damning of the decision.
[…]
“The British Council has important expertise in the running of student exchanges, and cutting them out of the process in favour of a profit-making private company is shameful. The Turing Scheme is still finding its feet, and the priority must be delivering quality for students, not a race to the bottom. This continued, ideological outsourcing drive from the Tories is bad for students and bad for ordinary people.”
[…]

6 Likes

Imagine being a 19 year old student on your first time abroad alone, running into difficulties in a foreign country, calling up your exchange scheme and having to deal with a Capita call centre

4 Likes

Well, that sort of thing builds character!

2 Likes

Can’t find it now, but I saw a survey shortly after Brexit that asked two questions, and the breaks were roughly:

“Should EU citizens be allowed free entry to the UK?”: 33% Yes, 67% No.
“Should UK citizens be allowed free entry to the EU?”: 67% Yes, 33% No.

No idea how accurate the poll was, but it’s hard to not think of it when I read stories like this.

7 Likes

That sounds about right. It is the “cakeist” position we were promised after all.

7 Likes

Why yes, of course. An Englishman deigning to honor the Continent with his visit and letting in suspect, stinking Johnnie Foreigners are two completely different things.

12 Likes

Heather Mallick, quill as sharp as ever, sums it all up quite nicely.

So far, BoJo has alienated Europe, left the nation short of food and truck drivers, aroused France’s hate rather than its usual condescension, serially effed up COVID-19, lied in Parliament, fudged his wallpaper expenses, lost his mind mid-speech, endured great big stinking corruption scandals, evacuated dogs ahead of humans from Afghanistan, hacked at the BBC (king of British soft power worldwide) and most fatally, dumbed Britain down. The latest scandal involves secret Christmas parties during lockdown, one rule for the toffs, another for the peasants. It doesn’t matter. There will be another scandal along in a minute.

Yes, :uk:, that’s one of :canada:'s foremost national newspapers referring to your PM, on its editorial page, by his clown persona. Perhaps the last surviving member of the Monarchist League of Canada will pen a letter to the editor in protest. I predict it will be edited down to a column inch and printed on the back page.

9 Likes