Brexit and Brexit Accessories

6 Likes
7 Likes

Aren’t they all going to work in cyber now anyway?

Tories: love culture war, hate culture.

4 Likes

Even though culture is a big earner for the British economy, which is something the Tories are supposed to care about.

5 Likes

There’s not many things the Tories claim to care about, that in reality they actually do care about…

6 Likes

That’s dangerous, not least because this authoritarian assault is so comprehensive that once settled as law, it will prove very tricky to unpick. Like many leaders who seek to transcend the constraints of democracy, Mr. Johnson may not foresee a future where he isn’t the one calling the shots. But the miserable shadow his power grab will cast over Britain is likely to last far longer than the tenure of the would-be “world king” himself.

His place in the history books, however, is secured. He will forever be the libertine whose pursuit of personal freedom and “control” saw his countrymen robbed of theirs.

6 Likes

The NY Times being right on the ball there when anyone who has paid a modicum of attention has known who he really is for decades.

4 Likes

Remember that the agenda is set and the subject framed by liars who don’t care about what they claim to care about.

Brexit was rejected by the people of Northern Ireland. The Northern Ireland protocol is popular with the people of NI. Industry likes it. Farmers like it. It did not change the constitution of NI without the people’s agreement: Brexit did that. It helps to minimise the disruption of NI’s constitutional status being changed against the will of the people. It does not make a sea “border”, it creates a free trade zone. This is common practice in many countries seeking to expand industry (China for example has done it).

10 Likes

It does not make a sea “border”, it creates a free trade zone.

Shhhh… :shushing_face: If the rest of the UK figures that out then Westminster is going to be reduced to the Vatican-style state of “Little Sussex on Thames” when the rest of the country demands the same sort of prosperity.

7 Likes

UK government responds to post-Brexit concerns and of course it’s all the fault of those pesky EU negotiators

The UK’s European Scrutiny Committee has published the government’s response to concerns over the Brexit divorce bill and the impact on the UK’s participation in EU programmes.

[…]

7 Likes

Here comes the shock doctrine. Westminster prepares to ram through a bunch of deregulation on the back of the current crises.

9 Likes

the plan will cut red tape

Come On Reaction GIF

How are people still peddling this dumb shit?

8 Likes

Brexit: UK plan to remove EU law sparks nations’ anger

One has to wonder whether this will affect the frameworks like CETA (UK ed.) that :canada: signed if suddenly the counterparty starts burning regulations. (The CETA EU original was 1634 pages long, so I’ve not got the time to check, personally.)

I’m not sure we want to start importing :uk: genetically modified fish grown in the raw sewage filling the riverside industrial effluent ponds heated by nuclear waste, or whatever it is that is going to be allowed when all of the regulations get ripped up.

7 Likes

Johnson and friends are promising a new UK-Canada trade agreement, which presumably will not depend on the UK maintaining regulatory alignment with the EU.

2 Likes

Yeah, that was signed before Brexit was really settled. The knock on effects of the continued self-immolation of the UK’s economic foundations makes me wonder if that agreement, which was a cut-and-paste of the one we had just settled with the :eu:, is still on solid ground. At what point do we call foul?

2 Likes

They say that the cut and paste agreement will be replaced with a tailored post-Brexit deal, so the UK moving away from EU standards won’t be an issue. We won’t try to foist our crap on you by stealth, we’ll do it openly.

The deal secured today provides the foundation for both countries to negotiate a new trade deal, that will improve on the existing EU-Canada agreement. It will be tailored for the British economy with the potential to go further in new areas like digital trade, women’s economic empowerment and the environment.

3 Likes

The CETA retread made headlines here; I’ve not seen much on the negotiations since then but I’ll admit there have been other issues in the news.

I had to sigh when I saw they were touting McLaren. My wife grew up just down the hill from McLaren’s first garage in Remuera, Auckland :new_zealand:.

3 Likes

Hoo boy. Canada’s GPD runs at about 10% of the EU’s. If that’s their Brexit success story…

Fail Oh No GIF by The Great British Bake Off

5 Likes

Canada’s GPD runs at about 10% of the EU’s

Ah… but combined with the deal with New Zealand… now we’re cooking with gas… /s

6 Likes

Gas, did someone poke a hole in Boris?

3 Likes