Brexit: The pound in my pocket is an ounce

Keep calm and carry on. Make do and mend.

Hell in a handbasket.

1 Like

Well, I certainly hope a post-Brexit Britain doesnā€™t expect the United States to support that wrongful development or sympathize with its self-made catastrophe. Britain should be on its own and face the music alone for this injustice backed by demagoguery. How else will they ever learn to rue their error and broken political process? The United States should cut off all trade with Britain and levy out sanctions for violating the basic human rights of Europeans living in Britain and Brits living, studying, and/or working in Europe.

Letā€™s send Britain a resounding message that rubs their noses in their own wrongfulness and points out the path and the direction to walk back into the light. When the famine hits, we can always show our kindness by sending in UN food aid.

Of course, on the other hand, a firesale of British property and commodities with a devalued currency could be a great opportunity for us here in America with a few dollars to rub together. They could be our new third-world dumping ground and strip mine. How low will the British pound now go?

#OneMoreReasonToAnnulTheBrexit

PS: Iā€™m not actually this nasty, but am making a cartoonishly-intensified-for-clarity rhetorical point (that will doubtless make me unpopular with the pro-#Brexit crowd of extreme xenophobic hateful nationalists. Good. Let them now stand up and be identified.)

Arf.

European parliament papers revealed that the crash in the value of the pound since 23 June is likely to cause a huge increase in the UKā€™s contributions to the EU budget next year. The government had estimated that the UKā€™s contribution to the EU budget in 2017 would be Ā£7.1bn.

Also:

No extra money for NHS, Theresa May tells health chief

6 Likes

So here we go - track this, everyone! Weā€™re witnessing a slow-motion train crash!

eg:

The report said that exporters will benefit from the depreciation of sterling, which last week tumbled against a basket of currencies. Exports will increase by 4.5% in 2017 and 5.6% in 2018, EY forecast.
But Mr Spencer did not expect this to be enough to offset a wider slowdown.

And with Mark Carney basically not promising heā€™d prevent a recession ā€¦we can say the chickens are coming home to roost.

3 Likes

Now of course, Auntie (the BBC) is confirming everything is ok!

There we go - itā€™s a ā€˜shock absorberā€™. Says the Deputy Governor. The Governor ainā€™t talkinā€™. Donā€™t wanna embarass hisself.

1 Like

The Economist is too liberal?

Does this guy know his side won? Shouldnā€™t he be getting on with making that work instead of whining about magazines?

6 Likes

Ha. Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

ā€œRampant Europhiliaā€ - at least he capitalised it.

I was just thinking about it all yesterday. Itā€™s such a catastrophe.

Iā€™ve been saving for a guitar. I had two levels of hope: (1) Fender American Vintage Strat, or (2) with favourable fx, and blind luck, a Collings OM.

But now, honestly, itā€™s all flying out of reach!

Thanks Boris, Nigel, et al!

5 Likes

Tory Councillor Christian Holliday Holds Petition To Make Supporting UK Membership Of EU Treason

3 Likes

I could justify accusing him of inciting insurrection.

3 Likes

Meanwhileā€¦

EDIT: If anyone wants to see if their MP is an arsehole, itā€™s up on Hansard (mine is).

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2016-10-19/division/897C9DF7-8B8B-4853-9DDD-2C1B9D554026/RightsOfEUNationals?outputType=Names

1 Like

I wonder how well twitter moments share outside twitterā€¦

:zap:ļø ā€œAnti-Brexit traitors outed on twitterā€ by @hrtbps

3 Likes

Just bought a part for my SAAB from a UK dealer. Price including shipping to Hawaii was less than the same part from the US, thanks to the low exchange rate. Thanks, Brexit!

6 Likes

Huh. Mineā€™s absent from either list. Heā€™s keeping his head down, as per fucking usual.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Should I be transferring wads of money from dollars to pounds now, or is the exchange rate just going to keep getting better?

Iā€™m ordering a case of Fentimanā€™s immediately!

Buy MacBook Pros and sell them to the UK - new exchange rates post-Brexit mean HAHAHA the prices have jumped!

Welcome to the new economic reality, Brexit Voters!

2 Likes

Actually a fascinating point here is Apple, by applying such a huge price increase, must have decided that their per unit earnings must remain the same; rather than deciding for instance that the number of MBPs sold must remain the same.

Why fascinating? Because it means they do not regard the UK as a strategic market. Which makes it therefore a secondary (or worse) market.

1 Like
10 Likes

Helen was Trojan, not Greek.

You sure about that? Didnā€™t her abduction/running off to Troy kick off a war of some kind?

2 Likes