Brexit wins: Britain votes to exit the European Union

I saw that a few weeks ago.

Stupid old git.

He used to be a LibDem, too. Maybe still is.

I just hope Michael Palin isn’t a Brexiter. Or Terry Jones.

5 Likes

Some of his more recent appearances that I have seen were really painful to watch. He seemed to be going for “charmingly eccentric” but it fell flat and in the end he was mostly a bit of an ass. He reminded me of my alcoholic uncle before he lost it completely.

2 Likes

John Cleese is an ignorant arse, and always has been.

My Mum used to have a book on parenting that was co-written by Cleese and a quack psychologist in the '70’s. It was chock-full of “homosexuality is a mental illness created by insufficiently brutal, feminised parenting” bullshit. This from a man whose career relied heavily upon the work of the openly gay Graham Chapman.

He’s also an anti-science woo merchant.

12 Likes

I suspect that if your approach to brexit voters as well as Trump voters is to harangue them with:

“You are a bigot! Bigotbigotbigotbigotbigotbigot. BIGOT!”

the effect will be, not to cause them to change their minds, but rather to go to ground. Until election day, which is why all the polls pointing to a remain victory were completely wrong.

1 Like

Oh hell, if Elizabeth Warren had just been elected president the US markets would probably drop 15 percent, and far from lamenting the fact, most of boingboing would be dizzy with success.

Trump is a bigot. If they’re impervious to truth, then I have nothing else in my arsenal. I’m not a politician, I’m not in the habit of lying to get what I want.

14 Likes

Interestingly, Jeremy Clarkson was in the Remain camp which I found slightly surprising given his Right leaning ways. His latest tweet on the matter seems pretty spot on.

7 Likes

Were such a thing to happen that would be truly notable, and I would not be the one saying no talking about it for a year.

3 Likes

He basically lives next door to Cameron. They’re good buddies. Plus, he’s always been a Europhile so far as I can recall. Did a series about traveling around Europe. He’s rich, he travels all over the world. I’d have been very surprised if he’d been pro-Brexit.

I guess Rebekah Brooks might not get invited back to chez Cameron for a while, though.

4 Likes

29 Likes

A US general presidential election is not a national referendum on an apparently very confusing topic to a surprising number of Britons. The campaign in the general is nothing like the prep. for the approach to the referendum. And the reality is that the people who need to be swayed in the general aren’t the racist Trump supporters, but a very different class of people who will have vast sums of money spent to persuade them with techniques paid for by well paid campaign analysts with a fair amount of experience in voter psychology and the rest of the ground game. Trump has no idea about how any of these things work, and will lose. We people on the internet arguing about this crap are irrelevant, and pointing out the bigots supporting Trump are bigots will have literally no influence whatsoever in any sense. US Presidential elections are much more of a commodity than they should be, but such is our dumb “democracy.” So you really don’t need to worry about it. You and I, we’re really irrelevant to the outcome. And Trump supporters are largely bigots.

4 Likes

And yet, some groups keep doing their best to make it like that more and more each time…

1 Like

Truly not sure whether to laugh or cry.

1 Like

That is surprising considering of all the anti-Polish humor on Top Gear. But doesn’t he live on the Isle of Mann which has some odd legal status or something?

I would rank programming and IT jobs in Germany in the following order:

• Munich
  • Berlin
  • Hamburg
  • Cologne

This is mostly based on the headhunters who keep trying to contact me on LinkedIn, and I do try to offset how my geographical location shifts perceptions.

why can’t I expand this video to full screen?

No idea, works fine for me.

The UK can fuck right off. I mean, I love you like a mother country, but after you threw us under the bus in the 60s and 70s to appease the French farmers we grew up and figured things out.

Time for some toughlove, child-parent styles.

3 Likes

That is the more than highly likely outcome.

The UK has not just shot itself in the foot - it’s done its liver and kidneys too.

2 Likes

Labour’s job is not to be a party of the working class, or a liberal party. It’s job is to promote progressive social democracy, and you can support that regardless of your class or income level (or not.)
Thatcher created UKIP by telling everybody that greed and sociopathy were good. UKIP is a reactionary party - it has no philosophy, it just reacts against changes in society since white men were in charge of everything. There’s no particular reason why the kind of white working class you get in marginal areas like parts of Essex and Kent wouldn’t support it.

But on what basis have you decided that Corbyn is incompetent? His job is to rebuild the Labour Party and make social democracy respectable again. It is absolutely not part of his job to cooperate with any wing of the Conservative Party or kowtow to UKIP. His goal, where they are concerned, is the same as Nikita Krushchev’s: “We will attend your funeral.” It’s to watch as they knife one another, not hold Cameron’s coat and remove Johnson’s knife.

8 Likes